We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

Denver, Colorado
Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

Am planning to travel with wife and 1 yr old this Christmas -- ticket prices are skyrocket (approx $2500 per person roundtrip).

Should I go with Emirates Economy or Lufthansa economy? Emirates is via Dallas and Dubai (approx 2 hr layover for each) and Lufthansa is via Frankfurt and Bangalore.

Both of the above are 2 stops -- wanted to avoid more stops or duration as travelling with baby.

Cathay pacific via west coast is coming higher as they charge 25% for babies.

How is Qatar airways (via Washington DC) compared to Emirates and Lufthansa? How is Air India from JFK via DEL -- I would have to arrange Denver to JFK separately.

Air fares are pretty strange -- for example -- Qatar airways is giving very good rate for one-way from India to IAD but when I choose roundtrip the return fare is also substantially higher !!!

Any other flights to consider? Am ready to consider more stops if its for the better.

Denver, Colorado
1. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

please help

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
2. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

I prefer Asiana via Seattle and Seoul, but they go into Delhi, I believe (you can't get a more comfortable economy class)

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 40
3. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

I have flown Cathay pacific, Emirates, LH, they are all good choices. I would stay away from separate tickets, if there is any delays, cancelations, you would be in trouble. For LH you should transit through DEL or BOM.

UA also flies EWR-DEL or BOM, then Jet to CCU.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

Take a look at http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

Doubt you can do it in one stop. Flew UA from Newark to Delhi and Bomvay a couple times and would not have a problem doing it again. However if you can it without a transfer in India, that's probably best. If you transfer in India, you'll have to collect bags, immigration, etc., while rushing to catch a plane. I know Delhi and Bombay both use separate terminals for many domestic flights which possibly will make for a more difficult transfer.

Denver, Colorado
6. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

thanks guys...all great inputs....

after doing some further research here what I am getting inclined to...

Coming back from CCU to DENVER -- Singapore Airlines ( CCU to SIN, then SIN to SFO via SEOUL) and then from SFO to DEN...all in 1 ticket....but i understand I have to take baggages for customs in SFO

Also,from SIN , I am getting too options with almost the same price and timings/duration--via LAX and via SFO. the LAX option has A380 but I was reading posts where people said SFO transfer(with immigration and customs) is much better than LAX transfer -- so probably inclining towards the SFO route ...I have never flown the A380 so not sure if it makes a really big difference in terms of comfort (I will travel with a baby :) )

From US to India -- since I am travelling during Christmas -- one way rate and return fare doesnt matter...so my roundtrip with Singapore Air is coming more expensive than if I fly separate airlines each way...hence leaning towards Atlantic route as duration is shorter while going to India....

Am considering Emirates via JFK or Qatar via IAD...for Qatar I will reach a day earlier but separate tickets on domestic sector and different airports as well ( and hence may have to do the domestic a night earlier and stop at some IAD hotel to rest)...Duration and Cost for both Emirates and Qatar are almost same.

7. Re: Travel from Denver to Kolkata (India) in Economy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 02, 2014