We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I let Air Canada know?

vancouver
reviews: 25
Should I let Air Canada know?

I booked a roundtrip flight to Europe with Air Canada using points. The outgoing flight wasn't working for me so I bought a separate one-way ticket using a different airline. I thought I should be nice and inform Air Canada that I won't be on the outgoing flight, so that I don't cause an unnecessary delay for others but am wondering if they will not honour my return ticket. Any advice?

10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
1. Re: Should I let Air Canada know?

Can't do that. Or your return will be cancelled also.

Try and get a refund on your separately purchased flight.

UK
reviews: 81
2. Re: Should I let Air Canada know?

Get them to convert it to a one way and a refund of the points for the outbound. Otherwise you've just lost all those points.

London, United...
reviews: 408
3. Re: Should I let Air Canada know?

Risky business and I would not recommend to do so. If you do, you should not have any check-in luggage.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: Should I let Air Canada know?

The only risk is that return will be cancelled if you 'no show' on the outbound flight.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
5. Re: Should I let Air Canada know?

Call them...they are usually pretty reasonable about changing Aeroplan tickets, although you may be charged a penalty /change fee.

...but if you don't, you risk the cancellation of the return flight.

London, United...
reviews: 22
6. Re: Should I let Air Canada know?

Pick up the phone and see if they will change it to a one way. If so, then you are good to go. If not ie non changeable, you are either stuck with the outbound and have to take it, or will need to buy another return.

Either way, you need to ask them the question if they will turn it to a one way. As others have said, not fronting up for the outbound means the return will be cancelled.

London, United...
reviews: 22
7. Re: Should I let Air Canada know?

Oh, and you won't cause any delay to other pax. If you are not there by check in closing or gate closing they will simply cancel your ticket, they won't hold the plane for you. It will go on time, whether you are on it or not.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
8. Re: Should I let Air Canada know?

They will cancel the return portion if you are not on the first flight. Any missed leg on an Aeroplan reward ticket invalidates the rest of it.

You can cancel your award totally 22 days before first departure and get all your points back, subject to a $90.00 fee. If you have less than 22 days left before departure, if you cancel you get zero points back (but you do get a rebate on the taxes paid). In that case, you are better to change your reward which you can rebook as something else up to one year away from your intial booking date of the reward, again subject to a $90.00 fee

The suggestion of phoning them and converting the award to a one way flight makes the most sense. You would be charged the change fee, but you would get back the taxes on the flight you won't take and of course, you will end up spending fewer points.

vancouver
9. Re: Should I let Air Canada know?

Thank you I will try calling and converting the return to a one way.

vancouver
10. Re: Should I let Air Canada know?

I was charged a $90 fee but I can keep the one way to London to use at a later date.

Reply to: Should I let Air Canada know?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions