We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

West Long Branch...
reviews: 12
Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

My wife and flying Spirit soon and our luggage measures about 62.5" - 63". Spirit allows 62". Does anyone have any experience if they give you any leeway here, or are they very strict?

Thanks for your help!

UK
reviews: 89
1. Re: Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

Never mind the generality, you need to think about what the consequences are for you, on the day, if they are strict with you on your flight, however many others they let through without penalty before. You are at the airport, two suitcases that they refuse to take. What's your plan?

2. Re: Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, September 25, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
3. Re: Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

I'm going to guess that Spirit's ground agents are told by the higher-ups in the company that Rules Are Rules, and No Leeway Shall Be Given.

There have not been reports of agents measuring bags, but there is a first time for everything, and I suspect that you, barry, do not want to be the test case for that time.

If you have a smaller bag, use it. If you haven't got another bag but there is an option to pay for what Spirit deem an oversize bag then throw money at the problem rather than try to sort it out on the day, which would likely be far less amenable than giving credit card information on the website.

UK
reviews: 89
4. Re: Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

Did I get it right sir, did I, did I?

----------

I don't think so, because AFAICS Spirits website says that this is the absolute maximum and they simply won't take a larger case. So its not even a case (geddit? Har har) of a fine, its more a case of buy a new case, or two.

Stay behind at school for an hour tonight and write out 1000 times "the case is closed"

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
5. Re: Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

With any airline, assume that the published rules about luggage mean exactly what they say.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

Did I get it right sir, did I, did I?

=============

Yes Jackie. Well done. Your prize is a one way trip on Ryanair to Malta with Nana ;-)

Edited: 3:45 am, September 25, 2013
Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
7. Re: Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

Nooooooooooooooo

I'll do the detention and I will take more care in future

Jackie

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
8. Re: Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

If you check the numerous posts about Spirit Airlines on this site, you'll notice one common denominator, They make rules and they stick to those rules wexplicitly. My suggestion is don't try it. If the bag is oversized, either pay the extra fee or buy a new bag.

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

I always find this kind of question quite bizzare. If an airline says this is the max size, why would anyone think it's really something a little bit bigger?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 229
10. Re: Spirit checked bag sizes - do they give any leeway?

>>>I always find this kind of question quite bizzare. If an airline says this is the max size, why would anyone think it's really something a little bit bigger?<<<

I agree. I think that Barry was hoping that someone on here would have said they have taken a similar item and not had any problems.

Of course, even if that was the case (sorry), that does not mean the same thing would occur for Barry. If it were me, I'd either use a smaller bag, or find an alternative carrier that will accommodate my luggage!