We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bereavement airfares

Danville, California
Bereavement airfares

I'm trying to help a friend get from Munich to SFO for a relatives funeral. All of the airfares I've researched are extremely expensive due to the short notice. Does anyone know a way around this?

9 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 73
1. Re: Bereavement airfares

Munich is especially in demand now because of Oktoberfest. Perhaps they could take a train to Frankfurt or Stuttgart for better fares?

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
2. Re: Bereavement airfares

For a bereavement fare, you'll need to call the airline directly. They can't be booked on line. Depending upon the relationship between the relative that passed away and the traveler, they may or may not be eligable. Bereavement fares usually require the traveler to be a close relation IE:son, sibling, etc). The airline will usually require some type of proof such as an obituary, and possibly the funeral home info. Commonly bereavement fares are based on the lowest fare in the market and usually waive all advance purchase restrictions. All you can do is get the proper documentation and give the airline a call.

texas
reviews: 24
3. Re: Bereavement airfares

When my MIL was in the hospital, we flew my daughter from Virginia to Texas on American Airlines. Not sure if they fly from Germany. We had to give airline the hospital number and they called hospital and we gave hospital permission to tell them she was critical. She got flight for amount it would have been if we had booked in advance. This is the only idea I have for you.hope you get some answers. I know ours was a domestic flight, but hope you get help. So sorry for your friends loss.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
4. Re: Bereavement airfares

The bereavement fares of years gone by--are gone by. As said the most you will get is a waiver of the advance purchase requirement. Also, I've found that it is only for sibling, parent , spouse or child. Any other relatives airlines usually say no. ( don't forget years ago planes flew with a lot more empty seats than today, when it may be none!)

Loughborough...
5. Re: Bereavement airfares

Also, when these fares existed, they were very much a USA thing and many airlines elsewhere in the world never had them. These days the most you're likely to get is help with rescheduling flights you have already booked and maybe a waiving of some of the charges associated with this.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Bereavement airfares

You have not mentioned the "status" of the friend or their relationship to the person that has passed away

The reason why I mention this point is that IF??? they are say a visitor to Munich it might be the case that the travel insurance includes the cost of emergency travel following the death of a CLOSE relative if it is sudden and unforeseen, my policy includes the aforementioned coverage in the cancellation and curtailment section of the policy-IF??? this is the case then it may be a good idea to check with the insurer to make sure the relationship between the two people is close enough to be covered by this section before a ticket is purchased

Edited: 2:51 am, September 25, 2013
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 31
7. Re: Bereavement airfares

As already noted bereavement airfares are a long gone thing - the most you can hope for is the airline not enforcing advance purchase requirements. If there are no seats available and someone has to get bumped for you, the airline may help you with that but you will have to pay any fees or extra compensation to the person getting bumped - sadly, I can tell you that I know that from firsthand experience.

My condolences on your loss - and as stated, it depends on your relationship - if it is not an immediate family relationship, the odds are you will get no consideration from the airline.

Romford, United...
8. Re: Bereavement airfares

Air France are currently showing a fare for MUC-CDG-SFO departing Sept 27 and returning Oct 10 at euros 823, not being funny but considering the imminent date of outgoing flight, that's a bargain price

Edited: 4:41 am, September 25, 2013
Romford, United...
9. Re: Bereavement airfares

Correction shud read returning Oct 8 SFO-ATL-MUC

Reply to: Bereavement airfares
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted