We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

US
Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

This is my first time flying Qantas Airline and I must say I am amazed at policies this airline seem to have made for itself, I am traveling with my wife and my 6 year old son from Lax to Sydney 15 hours flight after I made my purchase I found out the only way our family can seat together is to get shaken down by Qantas for another $150 extra so families can stay together otherwise my wife and my 6 year old kind could be setting scattered anywhere they fit WTF!!!! Who does that?? I have to buy my seat again!!! What a way to make an impression, what’s a next coin operating toilet??? Whoever came up with this scheme to squeeze customers for few dollars should get employee of the month and Qantas should give itself an award for practicing it.

Never Qantas again...

Edited: 4:21 pm, September 24, 2013
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
1. Re: Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

Qantas aren't the only airline out there who charge for seat selection.

Brisbane
reviews: 26
2. Re: Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

I think you can select your seats when checking in online, 24 hrs before departure.

Pretty sure it says on their website.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
3. Re: Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

Very few airlines allow you to pre select seating more than 24 hours in advance without charging ... the chances of your family being split up on the flight are about .05%.

Before finalising your purchase you would have had to read the T&Cs and this is where you find out about seat selection process ... yet you went ahead and finalised the payment? Why would you select something and then whinge about your selection?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

qantas.com.au/travel/…en

Qantas' policy is pretty much the same as British Airways. You only pay for seat selection before the online check in opens 24 hours before departure. If you're able to do OLCI (and be ready to do so at T-23:59:59) chances are that you'll get seats together. It's not that you're randomly allocated seats if you don't pay.

With BA I hear that you can always check the seat plan for your flight before making a decision as to whether to pay or not (if the plane is filling up then it may be worth it, if not then no). Don't know if that's the case with Qantas (hopefully someone can help here) but if they're worth their salt it would be.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

"Very few airlines allow you to pre select seating more than 24 hours in advance without charging"

Actually a lot of airlines allows that.

planet earth
6. Re: Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

Qantas could care less about their customers, best to use an Asian airline!

7. Re: Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:40 pm, September 24, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
8. Re: Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

Lexexpress .. you wrote << Actually a lot of airlines allows that.>>

I'm a bit confused ... out of around 20 airlines flying into Australia I can only find 4 that allow free seat selection at ticket purchase. So could you list those you know about to clear that up ... thanks in advance.

Melbourne
reviews: 7
9. Re: Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

You can go through the Qantas seat selection policy to see what's available without putting in a final payment - it asks for payment details at the end once you've selected your seats, so you can go through to look at the seat maps then just cancel it.

Qantas make it very clear that you have to pay to allocate seats in advance. I choose to do that and it cost me $200 to allocate seats for my bf and I going Melb - LAX then LAX - JFK and return earlier this year. If I didn't want to pay that, I'd look for airlines who didn't charge for advance seat allocation or I would log on at T-23:59:59 as said above to do it for free.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
10. Re: Qantas Seat sealction Policy warrning

This policy has been in place for a while now, nothing new.

I don't agree with it entirely, but it would not be reason enough for me to fly with another airline.