We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Air Transit London to Bangkok via Ho Chi Min

West Sussex, England
reviews: 108
Vietnam Air Transit London to Bangkok via Ho Chi Min

I have a friend who is travelling London to Bangkok via Ho Chi Min (Flight VN50) and concerned to whether a transit visa is required in Ho Chi Min. I'm getting mixed responses from the travel agents and the Vietnam visa website. He's only at Ho Chi Min airport for a couple of hours whilst waiting for the connecting flight.

Can anyone advise ?

London, United...
reviews: 449
1. Re: Vietnam Air Transit London to Bangkok via Ho Chi Min

What's his nationality?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Vietnam Air Transit London to Bangkok via Ho Chi Min

Do not treat this as gospel as it's your friend's responsibility to determine this for himself.

Assuming your friend has a United Kingdom passport (and it's very important that you confirm that or otherwise), Timatic (the IATA database covering entry requirements) states the following.

" Viet Nam (VN)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit For details, click here time of 24 hours.

Visa Issuance:

- Holders of a letter issued by the Vietnamese Immigration Department confirming that a visa is ready for collection, can obtain a transit visa on arrival provided arriving on Vietnam Airlines (VN). Fee: USD 25.-.

Additional Information:

- International transit passengers through Viet Nam are permitted to stay overnight in the transit lounge. However, there are limited aiprport facilities available to the passenger.

Warning:

- Visa exempt visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry. "

That appears to indicate that a UK passport holder does not require a visa provided they are in transit for a period of less than 24 hours, and do not need to go land side (he must have a single through ticket and his luggage through checked to BKK).

I personally would not be considering transiting in a country where I didn't have entry clearance, in case something were to go wrong. But, it looks like he wouldn't be refused boarding.

But, he can always telephone or email the Vietnamese Embassy in London with his question; they state they will respond within 24 hours - vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.php…

Edited: 11:36 pm, September 24, 2013
West Sussex, England
reviews: 108
3. Re: Vietnam Air Transit London to Bangkok via Ho Chi Min

British national, thanks for the response

London, United...
reviews: 449
4. Re: Vietnam Air Transit London to Bangkok via Ho Chi Min

USBusinessTraveller responded well, I believe.

5. Re: Vietnam Air Transit London to Bangkok via Ho Chi Min

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 27, 2014