We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

Tokyo, Japan
Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

I am Canadian. I want to fly to Canada from Japan. I do not want to return to Japan. I want to take up residence in Canada again.

I want to buy a return ticket because it is cheaper than a one-way. I do not want to use the return portion. The travel agent advised against because the agent said that Air Canada would charge me 2,000$ if I did not use the return portion. Is this true? If so can you please provide a link. I have tried using Google to find the answer.

17 replies to this topic
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 31
1. Re: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

You could try calling Air Canada and actaully speak to a representative.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
2. Re: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

In your case I'm not sure Air Canada will do anything, as you are just skipping the return portion of a flight whereas if you were missing a leg on a multi destination flight then that would end up in you having the remainder of your itinerary cancelled.

Also remember that you won't be able to accumulate any airmiles on this trip, and if it could cause you problems booking further flights with AC.

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
3. Re: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

Try the T&C's. When you purchase an airline ticket, all segments must be used in the order in which they were issued. If a return portion of a R/T ticket is never used, the airline has the right to convert that ticket to a OW ticket and charge you the applicable fare difference. Will they do so, you never know. It's a hit or miss proposition with all the odds being in the airlines favor.

Travelling The World
reviews: 18
4. Re: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

Potentially, yes they could. Realistically they probably won't.

People miss flights for all kinds of reasons, so unless you are an Aeroplan member who makes a habit of not using returns, it probably won't even be flagged up.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 105
5. Re: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

Just to add to my earlier post which I can't now edit; this isn't something I would recommend others to do, or something I would do myself.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

Hi,

The only added dimension that I see here is the agent... The OP appears to have used an agent for this ticket...

Its far easier for an airline to send a debit memo thru ARC, to the agency for cases of contractual non-compliance than it might be to chase an individual passenger... And carriers do audit corporate and agent accounts as a normal part of the airline/agency relationship.

What if wonder is what language does the agency have wih regars to passenger liability in case a carriers debit memo does hit their ARC account?

Travel Safe,

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
7. Re: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

If you are a no-show for the return portion, that's the end of it.

i am a bit surprised by your comment about price. I fly AC a lot and always book on their website and usually the price of the return ticket is just the sum of 2 one-way tickets.

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 17
8. Re: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

You can book a one way ticket directly on Air Canada's website; it's less than buying a return. You'll also be able to choose your own seat this way. No need for a travel agent.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
9. Re: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

In 18 years of being an agent, we have never received a debit memo for a client not traveling the return portion or had a client come back and say they have been charged for not using that portion. For a few years I worked in corporate travel and ticketed tonnes of tickets (pretty much all we did) and again, never happened. People do it all the time. I wouldn't hesitate if it was cheaper.

Edited: 11:48 am, September 24, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
10. Re: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke

Ii am a bit surprised by your comment about price. I fly AC a lot and always book on their website and usually the price of the return ticket is just the sum of 2 one-way tickets.

and

You can book a one way ticket directly on Air Canada's website; it's less than buying a return. You'll also be able to choose your own seat this way. No need for a travel agent

-------------

While these comments can be correct, they do not neccessarily apply to someone living in Japan to somoene buying an Air Canada ticket in Japan. And yes, one way fares Japan to Canada can cost more than return tickets.

Similary for Canada-Europe. Mid October AC wants one way price of $5,020 for Toronto-Zurich as their cheapest one way fare one way they sell for that is a Latitude ticket. A return ticket Mid october ticket (Tango) costs $968.17.

So, think about it ..one way over 5,000. Return, under 1,000.

No wonder people throw away the return portion sometimes.

Edited: 1:04 pm, September 24, 2013
Reply to: Air Canada`s policy on missing the return portion of a ticke
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted