We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6.5 Layover in Doha, Qatar - Enough time to leave airport?

San Diego...
6.5 Layover in Doha, Qatar - Enough time to leave airport?

Next week I have a 6.5 hour layover (5:25pm to 11:55pm local time). Is this enough time to get a visa, leave the airport and checkout the downtown for a bit, and make it back in time? I am planning to pay for the Oryx Lounge so I can get a shower and drop off my carry-on.

Is this a bad idea? I am American and I have traveled to Asia before (Singapore, Malaysia, China, etc), so it isn't like this will be my first time in a new place, but I will be alone. Do taxi drivers speak English? There are reasons this could be a bad idea, but I will probably never be back there again and would like to see the skyline, grab a bite to eat, etc.

How long would it take to get somewhere interesting and back. How long can I expect security back in and the acquisition of a visa to take?

Thanks!

Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
1. Re: 6.5 Layover in Doha, Qatar - Enough time to leave airport?

Taxi drivers do speak English but IMO Qatar is a boring place with nothing much to see anyway. Thankfully we only had a 90 minute layover so jumped straight on the connecting flight.

San Diego...
2. Re: 6.5 Layover in Doha, Qatar - Enough time to leave airport?

Fair enough. I'm a fan of skylines and would love to see Doha's at night and take some photos! https://www.google.com/search?q=doha+skyline+night&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kOo9UoqdN8qLrAHN54Eg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=1096&dpr=1

Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
3. Re: 6.5 Layover in Doha, Qatar - Enough time to leave airport?

Had you landed in Dubai that would have been completely different.

San Diego...
4. Re: 6.5 Layover in Doha, Qatar - Enough time to leave airport?

Yeah, that would have been something.

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: 6.5 Layover in Doha, Qatar - Enough time to leave airport?

Probably, yes, and agree the sky line is quite spectacular when you come into land. However, agree with the others, I would not leave either, nothing much to do.

6. Re: 6.5 Layover in Doha, Qatar - Enough time to leave airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 23, 2014