We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terminal 5 Heathrow bagdrop

Croydon
reviews: 25
Terminal 5 Heathrow bagdrop

Hi guy. Is 2 hours long enough to bag drop and clear security before 9.40 flight ? It is a BA flight . Have been reading of long queues. I have no previous experience of checked luggage, having flown HBO fare from Gatwick with no problems at all. Since there is no reduction for only hand baggage on this route, baggage is automatically checked. I want to allow sufficient time. Thanks guys for your advice.

Norfolk England
reviews: 78
1. Re: Terminal 5 Heathrow bagdrop

Hi

We have only done long haul. It's usually 3 hours before flight that our bag drop opens which we do aim to be there for. So far I think our longest wait to drop bags has been 15 mins. Never seen long queues but day of the week and time must have an impact. Our last flight from there ,May this year was around the same time as yours.

Clive

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
2. Re: Terminal 5 Heathrow bagdrop

It's probably security that you need to worry about. A lot of overnight flights from the US arrive between 7 and 10 AM. Many passengers are getting connecting flights and have to clear security to do so. You must have cleared security at least 35 minutes before your flight. The lines at security can be long and slow.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
3. Re: Terminal 5 Heathrow bagdrop

Edited: 9:53 am, September 21, 2013
Croydon
reviews: 25
4. Re: Terminal 5 Heathrow bagdrop

Hmmm.... security is efficient at Gatwick. I rather hope that would be the case at Heathrow...no pun intended..so I shall need to find out when the bag drop opens for short haul flights and work to that probably..ok thanks guys..

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
reviews: 6
5. Re: Terminal 5 Heathrow bagdrop

Unfortunately, security at T5 is for everyone. Local, long-haul, etc. Bag drop is likely to be the least of your problems. A couple of times it's taken me at least an hour waiting in the security line. The add the 35 minutes required between your flight and clearing security and you're looking at an hour and a half AFTER you've dropped off your bags.

6. Re: Terminal 5 Heathrow bagdrop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 24, 2014