We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with metal pin in leg UK

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
Flying with metal pin in leg UK

My friend has recently had an operation and got a metal pin in her leg. She is allowed to fly however is concerened about the security...will she need to get a doctors note to explain the scars/ beeping at security? And if so where will she have to go for this? Can she just go to normal doctors surgery and get a note? Any help would be much appreciated! We are flying from gatwick with easy jet, has anyone got any experience with this situation?

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
263 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

I had pins in my elbow for 3 years. Some airports I was fine, but others I did somehow set scanners off, luckily had a big scar which I could flash and they figured it out!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
Level Contributor
11,165 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

".will she need to get a doctors note to explain the scars/ beeping at security? "

I doubt it very much. I have a titanium plate in my right ankle and it has never set off any alarms, although I always mention it to airport security.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

Hi

I have masses of metal in my left leg and it sets ff securit alarms from time to time. I explain what it is and all is fine. Don't worry about it.

Jackie

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

I also have titanium plates and pins, and have never set off a security alarm. I did ask my doctor about getting a note, but he said this surgery is so common now that a note isn't needed.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
15,382 posts
187 reviews
5. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

My wife has two titanium hips, and we fly through LHR 2 - 3x per year. She does not even set off their magnetometer, though tells security each time.

Same for FCO (Rome), and CDG (Paris). SYD (Sydney) was also no issue.

Less of a hassle, than in the US, and she is a 1K flyer with both GOES and Pre-Check status.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
5,512 posts
6. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

It would not show up on a body scanner. It might show up on metal detector. Either way a note is useless as anyone can forge a note and doctors could be terrorists. If there is an alarm, they should resolve it with a quick pat down or visual inspection of the area that alarmed.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
10,689 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

Most of my jaw is titanium and I have yet to set off any alarms. I do carry a photo of the digital xray in my passport cover "just in case" but have not yet needed to produce it.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

I have titanium hips and I set off every scanner in every airport that I've ever travelled through - including Gatwick & Heathrow. In case this happens, you should allow extra time for your friend to be wanded and patted down.

London, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

My grandad is in the same situation. He always carries a note from his doctor about it. He got a metal knee about 7years ago but the security still goes off.

Just have a cover note from her GP and she should be okay. She probebly needs medication that might nee to be carried in her hand luggage so she would need a cover note stating why she needs them

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

As tev wrote, for at least the least 20 years in Canada, a doctor's note has been useless because they can be faked. Don't bother, just factor in extra time to be wanded and patted down.