We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with metal pin in leg UK

London, United...
reviews: 7
Flying with metal pin in leg UK

My friend has recently had an operation and got a metal pin in her leg. She is allowed to fly however is concerened about the security...will she need to get a doctors note to explain the scars/ beeping at security? And if so where will she have to go for this? Can she just go to normal doctors surgery and get a note? Any help would be much appreciated! We are flying from gatwick with easy jet, has anyone got any experience with this situation?

11 replies to this topic
Leeds, UK
reviews: 49
1. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

I had pins in my elbow for 3 years. Some airports I was fine, but others I did somehow set scanners off, luckily had a big scar which I could flash and they figured it out!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 19
2. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

".will she need to get a doctors note to explain the scars/ beeping at security? "

I doubt it very much. I have a titanium plate in my right ankle and it has never set off any alarms, although I always mention it to airport security.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
3. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

Hi

I have masses of metal in my left leg and it sets ff securit alarms from time to time. I explain what it is and all is fine. Don't worry about it.

Jackie

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 99
4. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

I also have titanium plates and pins, and have never set off a security alarm. I did ask my doctor about getting a note, but he said this surgery is so common now that a note isn't needed.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 92
5. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

My wife has two titanium hips, and we fly through LHR 2 - 3x per year. She does not even set off their magnetometer, though tells security each time.

Same for FCO (Rome), and CDG (Paris). SYD (Sydney) was also no issue.

Less of a hassle, than in the US, and she is a 1K flyer with both GOES and Pre-Check status.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
6. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

It would not show up on a body scanner. It might show up on metal detector. Either way a note is useless as anyone can forge a note and doctors could be terrorists. If there is an alarm, they should resolve it with a quick pat down or visual inspection of the area that alarmed.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 27
7. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

Most of my jaw is titanium and I have yet to set off any alarms. I do carry a photo of the digital xray in my passport cover "just in case" but have not yet needed to produce it.

Halifax, NS
reviews: 12
8. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

I have titanium hips and I set off every scanner in every airport that I've ever travelled through - including Gatwick & Heathrow. In case this happens, you should allow extra time for your friend to be wanded and patted down.

London, United...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

My grandad is in the same situation. He always carries a note from his doctor about it. He got a metal knee about 7years ago but the security still goes off.

Just have a cover note from her GP and she should be okay. She probebly needs medication that might nee to be carried in her hand luggage so she would need a cover note stating why she needs them

Halifax, NS
reviews: 12
10. Re: Flying with metal pin in leg UK

As tev wrote, for at least the least 20 years in Canada, a doctor's note has been useless because they can be faked. Don't bother, just factor in extra time to be wanded and patted down.

Reply to: Flying with metal pin in leg UK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted