We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internal US flights

Bournemouth
reviews: 5
Internal US flights

Hello, I have what are probably a dumb couple of questions.

On an internal 45 minute flight from Chicago to Moline, can I take my luggage? It will be a case and a carry on bag.

And I will arrive at Terminal 5 at O'Hare, around 1:00pm will I have enough time to get through immigration and get to Terminal 1 for a flight at 3:05?

Thanks in advance.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Internal US flights

"On an internal 45 minute flight from Chicago to Moline, can I take my luggage? It will be a case and a carry on bag." - On most internal flights you can take carry on in line with the airlines limits but on smaller regional jets you could find your carry on will be gate checked to the hold free of charge. Keep your valuables handy so they don't end up in the hold.

"And I will arrive at Terminal 5 at O'Hare, around 1:00pm will I have enough time to get through immigration and get to Terminal 1 for a flight at 3:05?" - I personally prefer a connection window of around 3 hours, you might make it in 2 hours but it depends if your first flight is on time and whether there are any major queues at US Immigration or Customs.

Romford, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Internal US flights

If you have purchased this ticket as part of one international booking then the same luggage limits/limitations should apply-3hrs minimum for INS/Customs/terminal transfers at ORD is recommended but if for any reason you do not make the connection your carrier should book you onto the next available flight with a spare seat free of charge-key words being "spare seat" as don't know the frequency of the internal flights so maybe it will involve a long wait

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 59
3. Re: Internal US flights

Yes, carry on luggage may be taken on internal flights. Please research your airline's policy on size as each can be different. Some airlines have a more generous carry on policy for domestic flights than they do for international, but without knowing the airline you are using, we really can't say.

What you may run into is that your internal flight may be on a small regional aircraft with limited overhead storage. In the cases, you will be given a "gate check tag." You will leave your bag at the bottom of the aircraft stairs when you board and then pick it up again at the aircraft stairs when you deplane at your destination. They must do this because the overhead bins are too small to accommodate a standard size carry on (some planes are so small, they cannot even accommodate a large briefcase). Because the bins are too small to accommodate a regular carry on, there is no fee for this service and it is not a hassle at all.

Bournemouth
reviews: 5
4. Re: Internal US flights

Thanks everyone for your most helpful answers.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
5. Re: Internal US flights

There is no immigration after a domestic flight.

6. Re: Internal US flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 20, 2014