We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight compensation Turkish Airlines

Manchester UK
reviews: 74
Flight compensation Turkish Airlines

Hi Folks,

I recently returned from Kilimanjaro on Turkish Airlines, the flight coming into Kilimanjaro was 3 hours late, this meant that we missed our connecting flight at Istanbul, as they would not hold the connecting flight. This resulted in us having a 21 hour delay. Has anyone been able to claim compensation on such a flight ?

I know that the money saving expert website has a very detailed article on making a claim, but that only deals with flights for EU countries, and Turkey and Kilimanjaro are not in the EU, hence I thought I would make a post on here to see if anyone has any advice.

Many thanks

8 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Flight compensation Turkish Airlines

Any rights you have will be contained within the Conditions of Contract of Turkish airlines. I haven't read them but I strongly suspect that they will not contain any right to compensation for delay.

You may be entitled to compensation under Art 19 of the Montreal Convention but the burden of proof from the airline that they took "all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures" is a relatively easy one for the airline to defend.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
2. Re: Flight compensation Turkish Airlines

I doubt you'll have any joy with this - my advice would be to put it behind you, chalk it up to the joys of flying and move on.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Flight compensation Turkish Airlines

Check your travel insurance policy. There may be a condition where you can claim a certain amount for delays and any out of pocket expenses. For anything more than that I fear you may have a mountain to climb.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
4. Re: Flight compensation Turkish Airlines

"as they would not hold the connecting flight" I hope you were not expecting them to hold the flight. It is unrealistic for a flight to be held for a handful of people. While it would have helped you, there would have been an entire different, probably larger group of people not only potentially missing THEIR arrangements but finding TA and complaining about how they were held on the tarmac for no reason!

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 1
5. Re: Flight compensation Turkish Airlines

On Tues Oct 7th i paid 865 euro each for two one-way tickets on a Turkish airlines flight from Istanbul to Bangkok, leaving later the same night/early next morning. The flight was scheduled to depart Ist at 12.40am on 8th Oct, however as the time went on, the monitor advised us that the flight will be delayed for 7hours, now due to depart Ist at 7.40am. As it happened it departed after 9am. I realize the Airline is not covered under EU rules, but does anybody out there know if we are entitled to any form of compensation from Turkish Airlines? A most aggravating aspect was that the only info coming from ground staff was the stock answer ie, the incoming flight was delayed ! Would be very grateful for assistance on this one...

6. Re: Flight compensation Turkish Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, October 11, 2013

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
7. Re: Flight compensation Turkish Airlines

Hi,

Re: 5

As you've noted, EU rules don't aply.. As such, your only two options are: TK's Contract of Carriage and/or Turkish national law..

As quick review of TK's contract - which is rather standard across the industry for travel outside or the US and Euro regions - leads me to believe you have no compensatory rights *aside from* the common rights like fee-free rerouting on another carrier or fee-free rebooking on a later TK-operated flight.

It sounds like unless Turkish national law addresses this issue - and I've not explored that - you are not entitled under Contractual language to a compensatory element..

Now, this does not say Turkish can't or won't give you "something" in compensation, but does say that based on what I read in TKs contract, there is no mandate they do so or are obligated to do so.

Turkish Airlines CoC:

turkishairlines.com/en-int/travel-informatio…

If you haven't done so already, i would write (registered post) sort, polite and facts-only letter outlining your issues and what you *reasonably* expect them to do, and when you'd expect that to do be done.

I personally would not (in the first or first few contacts with the carrier) infer or say you won't fly them again... I wouldn't imply you will (try) to do an online "name-and-shame" campaign, as most of these statements tend to make it less likely a front-line employee will do anything for you or refer your letter to someone who can or will do something for you - unless it is required under the law or contract.

My own suggestion here is this .. I wouldn't focus on the delay itself as it sounds like you have no real claim there for a compensatory element... Where I would focus my efforts is on the *handling* of it..

Tell them that while you understand that delays happen, that the lack of timely/accurate information from TK staff or agents, made it hard for you to make your own contingency plans...

Best of luck

Travel Safe,

Edited: 5:08 am, October 11, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
8. Re: Flight compensation Turkish Airlines

You are not entitled to any form of compensation from Turkish Airlines.

Reply to: Flight compensation Turkish Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted