We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

reviews: 2
Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

Hello All,

I'm a real newbie in the world of international air travel. How do travellers arrange for realistics stopovers on route?

I'm looking to fly to Reykjavik, Iceland from Sydney, Australia in April 2014.

Finnair currently has a seemingly excellent rate from Singapore to Reykjavik for around $1,100 return. The flight includes an 8 hour layover in Helsinki though. After travelling Sydney to Singapore, then to Finland, I'd rather extend that 8 hour layover into a day of recovery and sightseeing in Helsinki instead of hanging around for an awkward 8 hours after 20+ already flying.

If I calculate the same route but add a day in Helsinki, the price jumps from 1,100 to 5,000. Even if I manually select other flights out of Helsinki the price increases significantly.

I'd also like to check out Norway on the return leg.

What's the best way to arrange stop overs?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
1. Re: Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

You could try it as two open jaw tickets to see how that prices out, Sydney to Helsinki, then back from Oslo and Helsinki to Reykavik to Oslo. This would allow you to make your layovers any length you wanted.

You could also possibly look at slightly more expensive Sydney to Reykavik fares, as the higher priced fares sometimes allow stop overs for a small fee.

You can also use the multi-city option of 3rd party websites like Expedia to see what combinations come out cheaper.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
2. Re: Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

Assuming you are in Australia, go and talk to a travel agent. They can often find ways of making travel arrangements that do not show up with the web systems.

3. Re: Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:56 pm, September 17, 2013
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
4. Re: Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

International connections over 24 hours usually price out as multi-stop flights. If you can keep the connection time to 23:59 or less you can probably get the cheap price. Internet search engines typically try to give you the shortest connection (which is what most people want). Try using the arrival/departure times of the airline website to force overnight connections.

UK
reviews: 90
5. Re: Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

Are you using one way pricing instead of the multi-city option/ also, check out Icelandair flights they do add on stop overs at very low prices, though i have no idea if their routing stretches as for as singapore

London, United...
reviews: 515
6. Re: Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

You can try to talk to the said airline if it is possible to maximise your stay. Stopover might cost you more but it is worth trying to check with the airline first.

Or did you find the deal from a travel site?

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 102
7. Re: Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

If you haven't already done it, post this on the Iceland forum. There is a member, Aussiegrannie, who regularly travels to Iceland. She may be able to help.

Otherwise try a good travel agent, not an online site. Icelandaor only fly to Europe and North America.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

Presumably OP is using Finnair if going via Helsinki - if so contact them rather than Icelandair to see if you can get a stopover as they'll be more likely to grant your wish as they'll want people to visa Finland

NomadicForever
reviews: 18
9. Re: Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

All depends on your ticket conditions. Some fares dont allow stopovers. You may have to go for a flexi fare or whatever Finnair offers in the higher fare category. Price difference can also be influenced on supply and demand on a particular day.

Finland
reviews: 11
10. Re: Are stopovers incredibly expensive or am I missing something

As far as I know only Icelandair has direct flights between Helsinki and Reykjavik. Norwegian has reasonably priced flights within the Nordic countries so they would be something to look at as well. In case you are thinking of adding Stockholm on your trip, you can also take a cruise ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm.