We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible FRA vs. good MUC

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
Terrible FRA vs. good MUC

Some on this forum are defending FRA as a hub, something I cannot understand. Now of course we all have our personal preferences... So checking tonight at possible flights, and of course, trying to avoid FRA. To my pleasure, MUC is a possible hub for the trip I am looking for. But, for the same ticket (i.e. same condition of carriage - flex business - and same booking class), there is a difference of USD 2'000 (on any date) on the return ticket! In addition, it is almost impossible to find a discounted business class from MUC. So it seems that the market also agrees: MUC is worth a premium compared to FRA... QED

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
1. Re: Terrible FRA vs. good MUC

And the wicked hub of the west says:

Just try and stay out of my way. Just try! I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 151
2. Re: Terrible FRA vs. good MUC

Yes, FRA is really quite poor in terms of 'hassle-free' transiting. However, to save $2000, I would put up with it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 45
3. Re: Terrible FRA vs. good MUC

I only do FRA maybe half dozen times per year, and perhaps I've been lucky with my arrivals from Asia-Pacific. But I've never had issues going through that airport and the longest I've taken to go through formalities and collect luggage is around 90-100mins. And I firmly believe it has improved over that last few years.

I can understand those who go through there much more frequently, there would be a higher likelihood to experience delays, at sometime or another.

Edited: 6:01 pm, September 17, 2013
NomadicForever
reviews: 15
4. Re: Terrible FRA vs. good MUC

I agree with your comment about FRA. I also give it a miss if possible. On the route I mainly fly prices never differ between FRA or MUC in C. Until MUC gets an additional runway, the no. of airlines using MUC will not increase. Some carriers stopped coming to MUC as there was not enough business.

The no. of carriers flying into MUC is still limited. Therefore, less competition and less need for attractive fares. Vienna is similar.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
5. Re: Terrible FRA vs. good MUC

I must also have been lucky because I always seem to have very short transfer times in FRA and have always been surprised at how efficient they are, can't comment on MUC because I have flown through munich before but it was before the new airport opened but as the others have said for a 2000 dollar saving I wouldn't be thinking too much about it.

6. Re: Terrible FRA vs. good MUC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 20, 2014