We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

online check in

reviews: 1
online check in

Hi there everyone, this is my first time travelling on a plane and I have checked in online on the easyjet website and printed off my boarding pass. So my question is, do I still need to get to the airport 2 hours before I fly? Seen as I have checked in? Surely I dont need to get there so early and be hanging around for so long?

London
reviews: 37
1. Re: online check in

Yes, because you still have to do bag drop (if applicable), go through security and get to the departure gate.

And don't you want to build in some contingency in case you are delayed on your way to the airport?

Edited: 2:01 pm, September 17, 2013
Romford, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: online check in

Still would aim to get to the airport 2hrs before flight as you never know what might happen on route

Hanau, Germany
reviews: 24
3. Re: online check in

It should say when baggage drop off closes on your boarding card, if you have any luggage to check I be there some time before that time in case there is a queue, if it says it will close 40 mins before flight time it will close than and not 39 mins before, even if you're the last person in line than you miss your flight.

If you only have carry on I would be there latest when luggage drop off closes since you have to go through security, getting to the boarding gate and seeing your plane sitting there but the doors are closed is not a nice feeling, happend on my first flight to me.

As other wrote you have to consider hick ups getting to the airport too.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 87
4. Re: online check in

A lot depends on which airport you are flying out of. You don't say where you are from.

Some airports tend to be a lot quicker getting through customs, etc, but some of the larger ones have massively long lines/queues,

It's better to be early and waiting than to miss the flight, I always say. bring something to read, some music, and be prepared to settle down and people-watch. :)

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
5. Re: online check in

When I fly from EDI and don't have to check in at the airport or drop a bag I aim to be there about 1h15m before scheduled take-off. I know the airport and it's usually pretty quick to clear security. At other airports I might allow more time. It's always a calculated risk.

UK
reviews: 90
6. Re: online check in

Surely I dont need to get there so early and be hanging around for so long

-----

plan to get there 2 hours ahead, an unexpected one hour delay occurs, you make your flight. Plan to get there 1 hour ahead, an unexpected one hour delay occurs, you miss your flight. The ticket is cancelled, you have to buy new flights at full price and arrive there hours later because you decided to hang around at home for an extra hour instead of at the airport.

that delay might seem unlikely but it could be any or all of transport hold ups, long queues at bag drop or security, extra security checks for you. All these are recent reported reasons here why people have missed flights. Usually they then complain it wasn't their fault and how cruel the airline was.

is there something really important at home its worth risking that for ? if so, go for it.

Edited: 2:42 pm, September 17, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
7. Re: online check in

>>this is my first time travelling on a plane <<

That says it all. You have no idea where to go and everything will be unfamiliar to you. As said everything depends on your airport and where you are flying to and if you have hold bags to check in.

No point in making your first flying experience a bad one so get there at least 90 minutes prior to the flight

Berkshire, England
reviews: 63
8. Re: online check in

Definitely get there at least 2 hours before your flight is due.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 44
9. Re: online check in

Your boarding pass should give you bag drop and gate closing times. To allow for security, I would still be there 2 hrs prior, especially as you're not familiar with airport procedures.

10. Re: online check in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 19, 2014