We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA policy on flights to Cairo

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 41
BA policy on flights to Cairo

We booked to travel to Cairo in October several months ago before the unrest in Egypt. FCO now advise against all but essential travel to Cairo and not to leave the airport. Despite this BA will not offer a refund on the flights ( unlike Egyptair who offered a full refund) and have offered to defer the flights for 7-14 days on a rolling basis. This is unreasonable as we cannot make ourselves available to fly at a moments notice should the current restrictions be lifted. If we refuse this offer we can book another destination but not until 72 hrs before our original date of travel and go within 72 hrs of booking. Obviously we will not have much choice at that late date. Other than that we lose all our money. So they have our money and are willing to dump us in a airport that the FCO advise against leaving in a city that has declared a State of Emergency. We will now be forced to take a holiday we don't want as our trip was to visit relatives and not just a winter break. Other people should be aware of this before they book

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: BA policy on flights to Cairo

FCO advice refers to now, not next month. Unfortunately it seems that BA is going to go to the wire before offering refunds / rebooking

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 52
2. Re: BA policy on flights to Cairo

Travel insurance? That's if there's been a change in status with respect to the FCO and insurance classification since you booked.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 76
3. Re: BA policy on flights to Cairo

I think BA are being disingenuous. Whilst the FCO advice is for now, it is in place until it is lifted. That could be next year, let alone next month!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: BA policy on flights to Cairo

That's the way waivers work I'm afraid. They're a business and cannot afford to lose money just by offering refunds a month out, or six weeks out, or whenever (someone else was wanting a refund for next March on another thread). I'd have thought one of the offers would be to turn your ticket into a flight credit for a future flight to be used within a certain period (up to a year) though.

I'm with OP2002. A good comprehensive travel insurance policy is/was what's required here. If you don't have that, then you won't get coverage now I'm afraid.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 344
5. Re: BA policy on flights to Cairo

BA is a private commercial company while Egyptair is not. So difficult to compare.

Given the fact the "national state of emergency was declared in Egypt for a period of 1 month on 14 August. It was extended for a further 2 months on 12 September.", I find BA a bit stiff on this one. What are your plans in Egypt?

UK
reviews: 89
6. Re: BA policy on flights to Cairo

Perhaps BA has decided it shouldn't provide free travel insurance?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 344
7. Re: BA policy on flights to Cairo

Joe,

You have a point here...

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 41
8. Re: BA policy on flights to Cairo

Quite happy to accept another flight with BA. But not 72 hrs before we are due to fly and have to fly within 72hrs. Not many insurers cover for civil unrest... ours certainly doesn't. We just need to accept the situation and hope we can tie up a hotel to match whatever flight is available. Cant afford to lose nearly a grand in flights

UK
reviews: 89
9. Re: BA policy on flights to Cairo

Cant afford to lose nearly a grand in flights

========

You can, because its already been spent, you wont be any worse off if you don't go, you just wont get what you paid for, which is not the same. You'll lose a trip, not £1,000.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
10. Re: BA policy on flights to Cairo

Could you not do the research on a different destination, book the hotels now and then grab your flights at the 72 hour mark? Might be a way to salvage something reasonable.

Edited: 8:39 pm, September 17, 2013