We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 2
Spirit Airlines

I am worried that I made a big mistake booking a flight for six of us on Spirit to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise. We are taking the red eye from Denver and I paid for bags ahead of time and know the rules. Anybody out there flown this or other route and had experience with seat assignments? I did not choose seats ahead of time. My trip is not until first of November and we wanted to go nonstop if possible. I know you get what you pay for... but any tips for flying with Spirit? before I just eat the cost and book with another more reliable airline?

19 replies to this topic
Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Spirit Airlines

Hi

I would say read and reread their T&C's regarding luggage size and weight, and make sure you take your own snacks and drinks on board. Perhaps keep an eye on their time keeping for your particular route and get to the airport good and early.

When you read any of the rants about Spirit try and see through to what the poster is actually saying. Usually it translates as, I ignored the luggage rules, check-in times etc etc and they charged me for it.

I'm sure you will be fine.

Jackie

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
2. Re: Spirit Airlines

As long as you've read the terms and understand the fees, that's the biggest issue most people have - getting surprised by the fees.

The other issue is Spirit has fewer planes and no interline agreements with other airlines so if there us a delay, it's more likely to be long. Since have to make your cruise time, make sure you leave a lot of time for potential delays. Ideally fly the day before.

UK
reviews: 81
3. Re: Spirit Airlines

The last paragraph in post 2 is your big problem, its not uncommon to read of multi day delays when flights are cancelled. I hope you are flying in the day before.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 200
4. Re: Spirit Airlines

If you are flying from Denver, why wouldn't you use Frontier airlines since it is the main airline from Denver's airport? Also tickets are 99 bucks each way.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Spirit Airlines

The last paragraph in post 2 is all the more reason to make sure you have good travel insurance. If there's a delay and you can't make your cruise departure, you'll need the insurance to cover alternative plans to get you either to FLL or the next port of call for the cruise.

kentucky
reviews: 37
6. Re: Spirit Airlines

Are you wanting to arrive the same day as ship's departure? Can your group of 6 pack sensibly to stay in wt /cost baggage allowance w/out going over? Wow--that's risky, in my book. How much would you be out if you switched from Spirit to another carrier?

Des Moines, Iowa
reviews: 26
7. Re: Spirit Airlines

How much time between arrival at FLL and your cruise? Hopefully at least 24 hours.

You are aware of the fees and seating so your only problem will be hoping for an on-time departure from DEN.

How much money do you have invested in the Spirit fares?

Houston, Texas
reviews: 200
8. Re: Spirit Airlines

If you are taking a cruise, I can imagine you have a lot of bags as well. Going to jack up prices a lot as well for the airline. Also cost money to select your own seat.

North Plains, Oregon
9. Re: Spirit Airlines

After reading all the negative reviews about spirit airlines, I was very nervous to fly with them. My husband and I had already bought tickets , so we went ahead and flew. We were both very pleasantly surprised with our flights. We booked a roundtrip ticket from Portland, OR to San Jose del Cabo, MX, changing planes in San Diego. We were on time , even getting to each place a few min. early. The planes were new and as clean as any other airline. We didn't pay extra for the big seats, but when we checked in online approx 24 hrs in advance, they automatically assigned us seats together. We paid for our check on bag when we bought the ticket and took a small bag as carry on, which they didn't charge for .The customer service was good as well. I would fly them again.

northern ontario
reviews: 1
10. Re: Spirit Airlines

dear time2vacation,

I`ve been reading posts about spirit airlines. I too booked a pre-cruise flight. Have you flown yet? If you could let me know how it goes, I would really appreciate it. We are flying out of Niagara Fall, New York to FLL in February. I am so nervous as I booked this flight for 2 couples. Yikes

Reply to: Spirit Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted