We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Optimimum sleepage to combat Jet lag

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 5
Optimimum sleepage to combat Jet lag

I will be flying from Adelaide in Aus to Key West in Floriday next month & would like to try and ensure I can start enjoying the holiday as soon as possible.

It leaves at 930am on 17th of October & I get in Key West at 1050am on the 18th although with time changes the actual time will be around 50 hours with a 6 hour stop in Orlando.

Would it be best just to try and stay awake for the entire time until I reach Orlando (which is at 11pm at night after around 30 hours of flying) sleep for the 5 or 6 hours till the 7am flight & hey presto my troubles are over or is there a better way?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 24
1. Re: Optimimum sleepage to combat Jet lag

There is no right answer - everybody is different and copes with jetlag in different ways.

Personally I try to adjust to local time by staying up for as long as possible on arrival but that might not work for others.

Kent, United Kingdom
reviews: 44
2. Re: Optimimum sleepage to combat Jet lag

When we fly long haul, as soon as we board the aircraft we set our watches to show the time in our destination. We try, wherever possible, to eat, sleep and drink at times appropriate for the time in our destination, although not always easy when an airline might want to serve you dinner at 2am...

I strongly recommend that you don't take any pills to make you sleep. Apart from increased risk of DVT due to the immobility caused by chemically -caused deeper sleep than you would normally have, after a long flight, you will probably feel like sh1t if you have a " sleeping pill hangover" to combat.

Stay hydrated with water and fruit juice, and avoid tea and coffee, and fizzy drinks, although a couple of glasses of ( preferably red) wine might help you to relax and snooze.

On arrival, try to stay up, or go to bed, until/at times that are appropriate to your location. Never a good idea to have a nap in the afternoon, no matter how tired you are. If you do, you'll be awake in the middle of the night where you are, and feel even worse the following day.

I hope this helps..

Regards

Mondial

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 70
3. Re: Optimimum sleepage to combat Jet lag

Be as well-rested and hydrated before you leave as possible. While travelling avoid all caffeine and alcohol, as this dehydrates you. Adapt your sleep and dining as quickly as possible to the new time zone.

When you get there try to be outside in the sunlight during the day.

Some people have found that melatonin can really help the body adjust to a new time of falling asleep. I found it worked for me for a while, then not so much.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 5
4. Re: Optimimum sleepage to combat Jet lag

OK thanks for the replies, I am not the type to take sleeping tablets mainly because I can sleep on command anyway.

I will give the recommendations a go, all except giving up caffeine, that's just one step too far.

Although thinking about things maybe waking up at 6pm and going to sleep at 5am is the ideal sleep pattern for Key West.

Edited: 12:10 am, September 17, 2013
5. Re: Optimimum sleepage to combat Jet lag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 19, 2014