We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

San Francisco...
reviews: 109
LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

I have seen differennt answers from KLM so wondering if anyone has personal experience. Returning home from London so wondering if my luggage can be checked through to SFO? I read that because my AMS layover is over 12 hours i will have to collect my bags and rescreen. But also heard they can be checked through.

Anyone knows? Thanks

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
1. Re: LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

On their website it says that if the layover is longer than 12 hours at Amsterdam airport or Charles De Gaulle airports the luggage can be sent through to the final destination.

klm.com/travel/…index.htm

UK
reviews: 26
2. Re: LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

The wording on the web site is slightly confusing, and has been known to be misinterpreted by KLM staff (there was a recent thread on Flyertalk about this).

This is what I was told by KLM Customer Service:

If you layover is more than 12 hours OR it involves an overnight stay then the choice is yours - you can either check your bag to your final destination or pick it up.

Baggage reclaim at AMS can be painfully slow... so unless you have a good reason for wanting to collect your baggage (like not wanting to arrive at your tropical destination wearing your winter coat) I would recommend checking it all the way.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 72
3. Re: LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

I presume you asked for this layover to go into Amsterdam or something and it was not "forced" on you.

London
reviews: 34
4. Re: LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS - that MUST have been a good fare!

UK
5. Re: LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

"I presume you asked for this layover to go into Amsterdam or something and it was not "forced" on you."

Sometimes even a 23 hour lay-over can be a forced lay-over. We've never had anything quite as bad, but we've had several forced lay-overs from lunchtime on Day 1 to the early hours of Day 2... usually because our long-haul flight was too early for a same-day connection and the evening flights from our nearest airports (NWI and LCY) were either fully booked, or not available at the right fare.

KLM's SFO flight departs at 0950 - which (with the one-hour time difference) means that a same-day connection from the UK can be tricky. The first KLM flight from LHR gets in at 0900 - certainly not a connection I would want to rely on for a once-a-day fight.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
6. Re: LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

12 or 23 hours? All flights ticketed together?

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
7. Re: LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

I have seen that kind of layover length with award tickets. It may work if you are interested in taking a quick peek at the layover city.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
8. Re: LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

Yes direct flight to USA from AMS depart early but I used KLM for 10 years leaving Italy at 11am and going through MSP...arriving later is much better for jet lag.

How do you stay awake for 23 hours?

Never even for a free flight.

UK
9. Re: LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

"How do you stay awake for 23 hours?"

I would expect that one spends the night at a hotel - that's what one usually does for overnight lay-overs! (At least that's what I do)

San Francisco...
reviews: 109
10. Re: LHR to SFO with 23 hour layover in AMS

Thanks for the info. Yes, rather than try to catch the SFO non-stop that morning, decided it might be fun to spend the afternoon in Amsterdam visiting the Rijksmuseum (and the night in a hotel). Then waking up early to get back to AMS in time to catch the flight.

So it appears that if the stopover lasts longer than 12 hours, I normally can't check the bag through to the final destination. BUT, because I am stopping over in AMS, I can. That will help in my planning and packing.

Thanks again.

Edited: 8:36 pm, September 14, 2013