We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

Ukiah, California
reviews: 1
It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

Usually your trip begins and ends on a Airline.

I understand that the majority of feedback for all airlines will me negative, but it would be nice for people to be able to go through the reviews and possibly spot trends. Generally, If I see that more than a dozen people have complained about the same thing. I will believe them, or at least expect the same to happen to me.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
reviews: 51
1. Re: It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

Have you looked at this site?

http://www.airlinequality.com/

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
2. Re: It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

Every large airline that carries a lot if passengers has tons of complaints. They all have bad days. They are complex organizations. There's a lot that goes wrong even for the best of them.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 159
3. Re: It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

Do you mean you would like to see an airline review section here on TA like the hotel section?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
4. Re: It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

Judging by the amount of people who write the words "flight from hell" or "Nightmare" or "Ripped off" when in actual fact they were merely inconvenienced it seems like the reviews might be skewed.

Some people's expectations of air travel seem to be that they will never be delayed, that an extra 5kg in their bag should be free justfor them and turning up at the airport with the family 30 minutes before the flight takes of is fine. Oh and babies should be drugged.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
5. Re: It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

At one time, someone accumulated a list of all the airlines that had "do not fly" posts about them on this site. It was quite extensive (bottom line: don't fly at all). It's no big deal to check sites such as airlinequality.com, but even those are largely anecdotal/self-selected, so you get more negative than positive reviews. There are some comprehensive, semi-scientific surveys, but you need to look carefully at what criteria they use.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 267
6. Re: It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

My trips invariably begin and end with a train, bus or taxi, as I am unable to walk to the airport.. As these are also a means of transportation, if it were possible to review and rank airlines, there would be no reason not to be able to do the same for every single transport operator out there.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
7. Re: It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

" I understand that the majority of feedback for all airlines will me negative" -

I am not saying there are not bad flights, but I can count on one hand 'bad' flights I have had in over 30 years of flying, when things do not go 100% many of us accept that and get on with our lives but there are those who worry about the slightest thing and simply want to moan and complain.

We see it all the time of this forum, much of the time there are negative comments because people do not understand the way airlines operate, great pity.

I am sure there are so many who approach their flight anticipating problems.

There are plenty of places for people to post airline reviews on various websites.

I agree that different people have different expectations. I believe greatly that how you enjoy your travel depends a great deal on your own personal attitude and how you handle any ups and downs.

London
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 74
8. Re: It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

Monica4 +1.

Could not have put it better.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
9. Re: It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

Thumbs up and plus 1 from me too Monica. Perfectly said !

I think budget LCCs have seen a lot of people become new to flying. They have extremely different knowledge levels and expectation levels and a lack of experience (compared to so many of us that have been world travelling for decades) and they set themselves up for big falls.

I also think there is a generation of "tick and flickers" who think terms and conditions are a mass of words not to be read.

Edited: 11:28 am, September 14, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 183
10. Re: It would be nice to be able to rate airlines

Several posts have discussed this in the HUMTAB section, where you make recommendations for large changes like this - see here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12104-Help_us_…