We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
reviews: 8
Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

NEVER Travel Spirit Airlines. We traveled to St Martin in the Caribbean and They Charge Exhorbent Baggage Fees AT Check-in.. They charged us $50 each for my husband and myself for a wheeling backpack Carry On and $45 each for Checked Baggage. IN TOTAL We Paid $190 in Baggage Fees.

SPIRIT AIRLINES IS A TOTAL RIPOFF. Paying a little less for a Ticket is Not Worth it. IT is Better to Pay a Little more for a Ticket and A Lot Less for Bags.

WE Travel ALL over the World and this was the First TIme we were So Taken Advantage and Charges Such High Prices for Baggage. IN FACT ALL Other Airlines we have Traveled Don't Even Charge for Checked Bags to Travel International, They are FREE.

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS EXPERIENCE WITH SPIRIT AIRLINES?

51 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 27
1. Re: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

Has any one ever ........

Well probably anyone who has ever checked their luggage with them has paid the same.

And probably anyone who read the terms and conditions was aware of it.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

You could have seen the fees before you booked.

Travelling The World
reviews: 18
3. Re: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

All the info you could ever want to know about their fees is on their website:

…spirit.com/entries/21381838-How-much-does-S…

Did you read any of this before you booked?

"IN FACT ALL Other Airlines we have Traveled Don't Even Charge for Checked Bags to Travel International, They are FREE."

I guess you have never travelled Easyjet or Ryanair or even some "full-service" airlines that now charge for bags on short-haul, even international.

Edited: 10:12 am, September 12, 2013
Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

Why didn't u book in your luggage before u went to Airport,its very well known in there T& C that your luggage has to be payed for,??

London
reviews: 73
5. Re: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

The sort of people who don't check the (very transparent) costs on their website or somehow skip them during the booking process are unlikely to read a thread like this till it's too late. So another pointless rant really.

Thank you for your interest. Have a nice day etc.

6. Re: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 am, January 06, 2014

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 31
7. Re: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

A ripoff would have been had they charged you $100 a bag rather than what is actually posted on their website.

Thank goodness they didn't cancel your flight then you would also have discoved they do not have any interline agreeements and you would have been stuck in St Martin for days waiting for another Spirit airplane.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 200
8. Re: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

I haven't flown with them yet, but did purchase tickets, but I am fully aware of there fees up front before I get to the airport so that wont be an issue. I still remember when checking bags were free from every airline. That stopped years ago.

London, United...
reviews: 22
9. Re: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

What's with all the misplaced capitals on the op? Very strange.

It's not a rip off, you just did not read it.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
10. Re: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees

Today, when airlines charge all kinds of fees, the educated traveler sits down and figures out the bottom line when comparing costs. Bottom line is the ticket AND the fees. Those who only look at the ticket are apt to post rants like this one and claim rip off when, in fact, everything that happened was very much out in the open.

Reply to: Spirit Airlines - A RipOff on Baggage Fees
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted