We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of plane without informing us - Please help

Broadstairs, United...
reviews: 12
Change of plane without informing us - Please help

I booked a direct flight with Vietnam Airways From Heathrow to Hanoi and the Plane landed in Frankfurt, with a 2 hour stop over, without telling us until we checked in at Heathrow. We had to change planes

I was travelling with 2 children under 2 years so purposely booked direct.

Could I take this complaint further ?

19 replies to this topic
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 31
1. Re: Change of plane without informing us - Please help

You wanted a "non-stop" flight then. Direct simply means from point A to Point B with possible stops in between all on the same flight number but not always the same plane.

So to answer your question, no you can not complain since you got what you paid for.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
2. Re: Change of plane without informing us - Please help

"You wanted a "non-stop" flight then. Direct simply means from point A to Point B with possible stops in between all on the same flight number but not always the same plane."

That's true in the USA, but in much of the rest of the world a 'direct' flight means the same as 'non stop' does in the States.

3. Re: Change of plane without informing us - Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:10 pm, September 10, 2013
Edited: 1:10 pm, September 10, 2013

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
4. Re: Change of plane without informing us - Please help

I thought they go from Gatwick

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
5. Re: Change of plane without informing us - Please help

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I did not think Vietnam Airlines flew from Heathrow (?) Do they not operate from London Gatwick Airport ?

Did you fly on a Vietnam Airlines aircraft from Heathrow to Frankfurt and then change to another Vietnam Airlines aircraft ? Can you clarify . I think the Vietam Airlines flight has an en-route stop in Frankfurt but that would be the same plane.

Samantha - did you book this with Vietnam Airlines direct or did you use one of those 3rd party airline booking websites

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
6. Re: Change of plane without informing us - Please help

Nearly all flights to Saigon stops at Bangkok for 90min/2 hours (excluding Vietnam Airlines...).

Sometimes they do not even mention it.

Sometimes you can leave the plane.

Sometimes you cannot leave the plane while they are cleaning it.

But a change of plane is always marked on your ticket as a stopover.

Edited: 3:46 pm, September 10, 2013
Travelling The World
reviews: 18
7. Re: Change of plane without informing us - Please help

In any part of the world afaik:

Non-stop means point A to point B without any stops en route.

Direct means point A to point B with a stop in C.

Connecting means point A to point B with a change of planes in C.

So on the surface whether the OP booked a non-stop or direct flight is moot because she got a connecting flight ie not what she thought she was booking.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Change of plane without informing us - Please help

Firstly, as already mentioned, VN operates from Gatwick, not Heathrow.

Also, looking at VN's website, some flights to Hanoi are non-stop and some via Frankfurt. They are clearly marked as such in the field marked "Stops:". This Friday's (Sept 13) has "Stops: 0", and the next three flights (Sept 17, 24 and 27) has "Stops: 1 (FRA)".

For Ho Chi Min City, most flights are non stop, but a few are marked as "Stops: 1(FRA)".

It's possible that the OP booked the flight as non-stop, but it was then switched to a one stop. The only way to check that would have been to check the reservation frequently before check in, and possibly to note the flight duration (11hr05 for the non-stop vs 13hr50 for the one stop).

I don't think there's any recourse here. The flight wasn't canceled so I can't see any issue re EU261.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
9. Re: Change of plane without informing us - Please help

According to Vietnam Airlines schedules Flight 144 on Tuesdays & Fridays is via Frankfurt but with no change of plane

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
10. Re: Change of plane without informing us - Please help

By the sounds of it you got to your destination at the scheduled time and in one piece.

You missed checking when you booked to see if there were any stops on the journey. I've done that too. Ended up having a pleasant couple of hours shopping in Dubai. No big deal and a chance to stretch the legs.

So I'm confused as to the basis of your complaint.

Reply to: Change of plane without informing us - Please help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted