We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines

Québec
reviews: 5
Spirit Airlines

Spirit Airlines is my worst adventure in travelling. We were 5 adults having there return flight (from Myrtle Beach to Plattsburgh) reserved and payed since March 2013 but the company decided to cancel all the flights Myrtle Beach - Plattsburgh without any advise or email. The day before we left, I looked in my emails to see if I had received the check-in to print boarding passes but nothing. I went on the Spiritairlines.com to check for the flight but no more Flight #820. I call them and the only response that I have is "we're sorry about that". So, because there were no other flights to Plattsburgh, we decided to rent a car and do the path in 2 days. I've lost one full day only to find a company that let me drop the car at Plattsburgh (HERTZ). We left on sunday morning, take a break and past the night in Philadelphia and arrived in the late afternoon in Plattsburgh. All that story to tell people that think about having a flight with SPIRITAIRLINES should change his mind. This company changes their schedule the way they want without taking time to advise passengers. They don't care about what will happen to people. They shouln't be allowed to operate a business like this.

Again, DON'T GO WITH SPIRIT AIRLINES.

14 replies to this topic
Lake Crystal...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Spirit Airlines

Do a quick search here and read what much of the flying public has to say about Spirit and you'll find hundreds of posts, many by people with complaints about Spirit -- after they flew/tried to fly with them.

I, from what I have read about Spirit, think this is pretty much the way they do business, and keep doing business, because people buy the cheap ticket without reading the terms and conditions of the purchase, or they know how Spirit operates and are willing to take some risks to save money. Can you tell us what specific terms of the contract you established with them (when you purchased tickets) you think they violated? I think they reserve the right to cancel flights and leave passengers in the lurch. I realize I am not sounding very sympathetic -- but my response is a warm fuzzy in contrast to many you may receive. ;)

Edited: 12:38 pm, September 10, 2013
2. Re: Spirit Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, September 10, 2013
Edited: 4:05 pm, September 10, 2013

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 31
3. Re: Spirit Airlines

Spirit are cheap because:

They do not have interline agreements therefor you fly their planes and never anyone elses.

They can and do cancel leaving people stranded.

People still fly them because as you found, they are cheapest.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
4. Re: Spirit Airlines

It's a shame you didn't come here earlier as you would have seen the many threads complaining of spirit and maybe would have booked with someone else or kept an eye on your flights, the only thing you can do now is put it down to a bad experience and move on.

Lake Odessa...
reviews: 3
5. Re: Spirit Airlines

Yes that's exactly what I did was move on after several yrs ago having a bad flying experience with Spirit. That was before all the pesky little added charges. But I moved on and since have spent probably 9 k flying with other airlines with pretty much all good experiences. Live and learn I suppose. Now if I only hadn't bought a Timeshare 3 yrs ago....... LoL

Houston, Texas
reviews: 199
6. Re: Spirit Airlines

I just did a check on Spirit Airlines from Plattsburgh to Myrtle Beach and nothing comes up which to me means they don't fly much there. I think if you are using spirit you need to check how often they have flights to certain places. Like for Vegas they have a good 3-4 flights daily so easier to get on another plane. If only one plane then you are screwed if something happens.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 199
7. Re: Spirit Airlines

Another thing you can do is check online flights for Spirit flight # so and so from so and so airport. It will give you the success rate on how often they are on time in the last 2 months, how excessively late they are or if they have had any cancellations. I did that with Turkish Airlines on my last flight.

Seattle, Washington
8. Re: Spirit Airlines

Spirit refused to allow 4 customers onto a flight to Cancun Mexico. The agent incorrectly suggested a Visa (rather than just a passport) was required for an American citizen to go to Cancun. Further more when we tried to refer her to travel.state.gov she refused to look or change her position, becoming rude

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
9. Re: Spirit Airlines

?Spirit refused to allow 4 customers onto a flight to Cancun Mexico"

Are you sure this is correct? If this was a non-stop flight, unless they were the only passengers on that flight going to Cancun, there hadn to be others on that same flight. If there were others on that flight, there might have been something wrong with the poaperwork rather than the visa issue.

Not a big Spirit Air fan myself, but I used to work CS for a travel service and I'd wamt more info on this one.

Boston...
reviews: 114
10. Re: Spirit Airlines

Cousins tried them once. Vowed not to fly them ever again. (Rude staff, scary flight, tiny seats...).

Reply to: Spirit Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted