We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Airlines Business or Cathay Pacific Premium Economy

melbourne
Vietnam Airlines Business or Cathay Pacific Premium Economy

We have a trip coming up to Busan, Korea from Melbourne, Australia. It's a business trip and we aren't paying, so there is a tight budget. For various reasons Korea Air out of Sydney is not possible for us in this case, so the options we have are Vietnam Airlines via Ho Chi Minh City in Business class and Cathay Pacific via HK in Premium Economy. I am small and never sleep on flights much anyway, so things like food, entertainment and delays are more important to me, my husband is more preoccupied with space and sleeping and lounge access. He also flies business class usually, so is wary of premium economy, whereas I have no such reservations, being a seasoned economy class flier.

We can't decide which airline to choose, so are looking for any opinions!

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 83
1. Re: Vietnam Airlines Business or Cathay Pacific Premium Economy

Hi Skylark,

Vietnam Airlines Business class is definitely good value for money, but as long as you don't expect a product with a flat bed seat etc.

It is more styled on what you will find in Business class on short haul/intra Asian flights.

As an airline I would choose Cathay any day of the week. Any transit via Vietnam may also require a visa as well.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
2. Re: Vietnam Airlines Business or Cathay Pacific Premium Economy

Lounge access is good to have especially of there's any sort of delay. So +1 for VN

Any business class seat, even if its not a fully flat bed, will have a greater pitch than an economy seat. +1 for VN

Hong Kong is a nicer airport for transit than Ho Chi Minh. +1 to CX

Getting off a flight first is always of benefit. Gets you to the immigration queue first. +1 for VN

Business class tickets get you into the priority lane at emigration and security. In Melbourne that can cut out a lot of queue waiting time. +1 for VN

Even if you don't care, apparently hubby does, so if its of no consequence to you why not travel Business class?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
3. Re: Vietnam Airlines Business or Cathay Pacific Premium Economy

I haven't bothered to look into the visa situation should you need one. However, I would go business class of most airlines over PE just about any day. Even regional business class is usually roomier than any PE product, and you will likely get better service on-board plus lounge access pre-flight.

Reply to: Vietnam Airlines Business or Cathay Pacific Premium Economy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted