We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem in United's Business Class

Ulladulla, Australia
reviews: 7
Problem in United's Business Class

Two trips ago in United's Business Class on the return flight from the U.S. to home to Sydney (I must fly Business Class on long haul flights due to a spinal problem) I was horrified to discover that the woman in the centre section had 3 young children wiith her who yelled and ran around the cabin all night, with the mother not even saying a word. When I complained to United's cabin staff (who I must admit on these flights are usually excellent) they couldn't have cared less. Not even willing to say anything to the woman. Since then I have flown Air New Zealand's Business Class which was one of the best experiences of my life. You live and learn I guess.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: Problem in United's Business Class

Hi,

Those issues are hard... Yes, the carrier has some responsibility to make reasonable efforts to maintain proper "order" in the aircraft and cabin, but the reality is that this is up to each person -- to manage their own behavior and act accordingly.

In the case of children (which tends to quickly move into two camps: those who have kids and feel one way, and those that do not, and feel the opposite way) while I'd expect the carriers cabin crew to - at minimum - address any behavior or cabin conduct matters with the child and/parent, it is, in my opinion, the final responsibility of the children's traveling parent/guardian to administer and 'enforce' as the case may be.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 8:16 am, September 08, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
2. Re: Problem in United's Business Class

I'm not sure why unsupervised naughty kids in Business Class are any worse than the same in Economy except that they disturb more people in Economy.

You paid for your Business Class ticket and the kids (or at least their parents) paid for theirs. And the ticket only entitles you to a seat on a flight. While we all hope our fellow travelers will be quiet and polite (or, better still, non existent) we can't control the behavior of others.

That's why I never travel without earplug and noise canceling headphones.

Edited: 8:32 am, September 08, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 378
3. Re: Problem in United's Business Class

Live and learn whatj? You apparently have decided that the "problem" is system-wide on UA and will never occur on Air New Zealand. I've not seen many children in biz class on any airline, but good luck to you. I imagine the mother would have a different version of your story, but no matter.

Edited: 8:35 am, September 08, 2013
Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
4. Re: Problem in United's Business Class

OK, we got your side of the story, now let's hear from the mother of the children and the cabin crew. As always there will be two (or maybe 3) sides and they will vary greatly.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Problem in United's Business Class

Hi

Some parents seem to be able to tune out of the noise their kids make. I think it is a safety valve to stop them going crazy, and some just don't care what their kids do as long as it doesn't bother them.

It would be nice to be able to say to the parent involved that the kids are bothering everyone and could she please control them, but some parents would just reply to this with abuse and make the situation ten times worse.

It was sheer bad luck and could probably happen with any airline on any flight.

Jackie

London, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Problem in United's Business Class

Am surprised if the kids were truly disruptive, that the crew did nothing. I fly united business/ first regularly and although certainly don't rate the crew as even close to the best, to be fair, I would expect them to prevent disruption, not least due to a health and safety concern around young children running round a darkened cabin, and to stop kids yelling due to the disruption to pax trying to sleep..

I suspect, sorry, this is about differing tolerance levels. Are you really sure the kids were actually yelling and running round all night?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
7. Re: Problem in United's Business Class

Not unique to UA as it could have happened with any airline - when travelling by public transport you can encounter fellow passengers of all ages that you would rather avoid.

Bearing in mind the length of the flight I suspect that the statement they "yelled and ran around the cabin all night" is a classic overstatement.

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
8. Re: Problem in United's Business Class

My two nephews are quite rambunctious and noisy; we seriously consider whether to stay at their house or check in hotel on a visit! :) What we think is annoying the mother thinks it is cute and precocious...sigh.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 39
9. Re: Problem in United's Business Class

Good move. I understand Air New Zealand's policy is to warn the parent once then if the kids keep it up, tie them all up, toss them in the cargo hold and sell them at auction when they land.

OK that is not exactly true but really, the same could happen on any airline anywhere. Lots of folks are raising their kids as "free range" these days and do not care a bit how they behave. Shame really but not a lot you can do about it.

Edited: 9:18 am, September 08, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 33
10. Re: Problem in United's Business Class

You paid for your Business Class ticket and the kids (or at least their parents) paid for theirs. And the ticket only entitles you to a seat on a flight. While we all hope our fellow travelers will be quiet and polite (or, better still, non existent) we can't control the behavior of othe

---------

Disagree that a business class ticket "only" entitles you to a seat on a flight. It also should provide a more enjoyable and relaxing atmosphere. Too bad the flight attendants lacked the desire or capability to control things a little better.

It's like saying a ticket to a sporting even only gives you a seat to see the event. If other patrons are unruly and disruptive, stadium staff will usually step in and control the situation or evict the offenders. Of course, offenders on a flight can't be evicted mid-flight (but sometimes we have wished they could!)

I will agree that it could happen on any airline, not just UA.

Edited: 9:20 am, September 08, 2013