We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inflated or deflated football on plane?

Victoria, Australia
reviews: 15
Inflated or deflated football on plane?

Hi we are taking an Aussie Rules football on the plane to give to someone as a gift.

Just wondering if we pack it in our checked in luggage does it make any difference if it is inflated or deflated with air pressure etc??

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 156
1. Re: Inflated or deflated football on plane?

I suppose they are reasonably airtight so I'd be taking it semi-inflated for the lowest chance of it exploding/rupturing. Having said that, the cabin altitude in passenger jets is generally kept around 3000 feet from memory, which in terms of the International Standard Atmosphere is a change of about 100 hPa from sea level. Nothing to be too worried about but the ball will definitely be under increased pressure from the inside if you leave it fully inflated.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 232
2. Re: Inflated or deflated football on plane?

Cabin pressure more like 8,000 feet so you'll definitely have the possibility of it growing. I would at least reduce the air pressure a bit but then you have to figure out how to blow it up again when you land. You'll definitely notice it with inflated items but not so much that it's likely to explode.

Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
reviews: 60
3. Re: Inflated or deflated football on plane?

We've taken an Aussie Rules football to and from the US. It was inflated in checked luggage and survived both ways. (Training can't go on hold for vacation)

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
4. Re: Inflated or deflated football on plane?

I would have thought you would carry it deflated just because it takes less room if its 'flat packed'.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 58
5. Re: Inflated or deflated football on plane?

I agree, for personal packing, by deflating it, you would take up less space.

But if it's of any interest, none of the Super 15 rugby teams deflate their footballs whilst touring.

Kitchener
6. Re: Inflated or deflated football on plane?

American Airlines would not allow me to bring a football onto their plane.

February 2014.

Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
reviews: 60
7. Re: Inflated or deflated football on plane?

Spoilsports :(

What's wrong with a bit of footy on a plane?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 130
8. Re: Inflated or deflated football on plane?

I've taken a smaller sized soccer ball fully inflated in me checked luggage many times to play football on the beach with my sons. Never have I had an issue with the air pressure.

wirral
reviews: 81
9. Re: Inflated or deflated football on plane?

The TV advert for Turkish showing in UK has Messi and co playing football in the aisles.As if!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 151
10. Re: Inflated or deflated football on plane?

We bought one in Italy couple years ago and we do hand luggage only. Aer Lingus made us deflate it in the cabin as they claimed there was a possibility it would blow up in flight.