We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

Palm Desert...
reviews: 109
United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

Hi everyone, my family are flying to LA within the next month and are using United Airlines for the first time, I am getting a little anxious as I have been reading some reviews (which have been mixed) regarding the food. I just want to know if anyone who has recently flown with them to the US can tell me how many meals are served? I have heard one which sounds crazy for a 14-15 hour flight, If that is true I will pack snacks for us. Your answers will be greatly appreciated

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 74
1. Re: United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

Hi,

It is a planned 2.5 meal service..

There will be a full dinner seved shortly after departure .. About 7 hours after departure (or about 5 after the earlier meal) there will be a snack service .. And about 1.75 hours before arrival in SYD a full breakfast will be offered..

Naturally beverages will accompany all three services as well as offered intermittently during other periods.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 11:29 pm, September 04, 2013
Shoalhaven...
reviews: 151
2. Re: United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

But in answer to the other aspect of your question. The meals will likely be tasteless/boring and possible inedible. However, this is true of most airlines. It is important to understand that if it is a fine meal you are after then cruise to LA don't fly

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
3. Re: United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

Taking the kids? Don't expect any personal inflight entertainment.

If they've got iPads make sure you take them.

Edited: 2:12 am, September 05, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 4
4. Re: United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

You also need to pay for all alcohol drinks

Australia
reviews: 28
5. Re: United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

Has that changed recently? Alcohol with dinner was always complimentary...was on my last flight end of last year.( in economy)

Edited: 4:12 am, September 05, 2013
Palm Desert...
6. Re: United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

Hi everyone, I will address separately

GOPBI: Thanks awsome info

DOUGLASS44: LOL , yes a nice fine dining cruise would be great, but my son (12years) on hearing there is only one meal, is adamant we now bring on board Subway!! ( his fav fast food)

able58: yes 1 child 12 years, well prepared for "no entertainment" hope the batteries last as there is also no charging plugs onboard (unless we make friends with someone in business class) why did'nt I do more thorough homework on this airline???

ree-nyc: No free booze!! I know, my hubby has his debit/credit card ready!!

Thanks everyone

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 140
7. Re: United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

I would definitely take snacks on board as airline food is very hit and miss.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

Regarding alcohol, United provides free beer and wine in economy class on its **transpacific** long haul flights (only), which includes Australia.

Also, regarding IFE, the 747s are being fitted with Wifi, both for internet access (charged) and streaming of the in flight AVOD (free). Currently 13 out of the 23 aircraft in the fleet are wifi enabled (no in seat power yet though). If you're lucky and your aircraft has wifi (and the equipment assigned to your flight will be known 72 hours before departure), you will need your own wifi enabled device to take advantage of this (iPAD, laptop, etc). - https:/…mainline-fleet-tracking

Auckland Region...
reviews: 216
9. Re: United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

<<< my son (12years) on hearing there is only one meal, is adamant we now bring on board Subway!! >>>

I would think that even airline food has got to be better than a cold subway. Also after 2 - 3 hours at room temperature the sub may be at risk of contamination.

Snack packs fine, but it may pay to steer clear of fast food takeaways.

Cheers.

Palm Desert...
10. Re: United Airlines, Sydney to Los Angeles inflight meals??

Hi Stanley Auckland, I hear you, I am only making fun of kids listening to our insecurities, I would never risk warm ham sandwiches on a flight, to everyone reading my one and only question I was just checking the accurarcy of certain reviews of this subject. My family and I fly to the US a lot, not just for vacation my hubby is American so it is a regular part of our life I just wanted to put the "food" question out there as I did stumble upon a lot of negatives in regards to this particular airline and was curious as I will soon be a first time customer on United we (usually) fly Delta or Hawaiian. I Just was after a simple yes or no to throw some pringles/ snickers in our bags, Thanks again to all your replies.