We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

West Sussex, England
reviews: 112
"Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

Just wanted to find out whether Chicken or Pasta is all that is on offer these days for in-flight transatlantic meals. We are not frequent flyers, and didn't have the best experience on AA to BOS from LHR a couple of years ago.

We recently flew US Airways from LHR to CLT. It was a much better flight this time in terms of the flight, leg room, and quality of in-flight entertainment . So I was quietly confident of something a bit better on the meal front this time around. However, again we had the choice given to us and that dreaded question was read out to us. "Chicken or Pasta Sir ?" I was gutted, my eyes welled up. I managed to hold it together and select the chicken out of politeness. On the flight home to the UK, i was a bit anxious, slightly nervous, thinking the unthinkable. However again," CHICKEN OR PASTA SIR". I shedded a tear and a smile at the same time. Is there anything else but chicken or pasta these days, or were we just a bit unlucky ? No offence against chicken or pasta in-flight meal lovers.

The kids meal looked good though......

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
1. Re: "Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

Most of us don't expect great meals on airline flights. IF the chicken or past tasted decent then I wouldn't say much more!

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: "Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

Occasionally you get offered beef lasagne if they can get hold of the horses!!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
3. Re: "Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

I wonder what you'd prefer?? You wouldn't expect steak would you??

West Sussex, England
reviews: 112
4. Re: "Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

No wasn't expecting a steak, just trying to make light of something

Romford, United...
5. Re: "Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

Five0-I appreciated your subtle humour

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
6. Re: "Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

Actually, this got started during the mad cow scare a few years back. We always fly economy on US flag carriers. On most flights out of Europe that we've flown do not offer a beef option. We have had beef options offered on flights to Europe.

Romford, United...
7. Re: "Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

So what do they put in the lasagne??? hold on a mo, I've already answered that!!!

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
8. Re: "Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

Chicken or pasta - the low cost option. Beef, seafood, lamb - all cost more. Another way to cut costs.

Another reason to BYO food.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston
reviews: 60
9. Re: "Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

I have not heard that since I flew NYC-JFK back in the day on AA.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
reviews: 9
10. Re: "Chicken or Pasta Sir"? Oh no, not again

Must be the US menu. On Asian routes you get salmon, sweet & sour pork, noodles ...