We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathay Pacific Business Class UK - New Zealand & Australia

Northallerton...
reviews: 25
Cathay Pacific Business Class UK - New Zealand & Australia

We're thinking of a trip from the UK to NZ and Aus in the New Year and although we've been before we haven't used Cathay Pacific before. I note their business class product tends to have good reviews so I'm surprised their prices seem a fair bit less than BA, Qantas etc etc - at the moment at least.

Possibly stopping off in HKG for a couple of nights, then to Auckland. Flying back from Melbourne to the UK (using other airlines to get there from NZ). Anything to be wary of re Cathay Pacific on those sort of routes please? Maybe an odd question but, as said, pleasantly surprised at the prices so thought it best to check I'm not missing some obvious flaw! The same flights booking via Expedia seem even cheaper!

Thanks, Gary

Northallerton...
1. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class UK - New Zealand & Australia

Forgot to mention - the HKG to AKL leg may be with Air New Zealand but again I think they have a good reputation for business class? Presumably code share with Cathay Pacific?

London, United...
reviews: 22
2. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class UK - New Zealand & Australia

We did LHR -AKL on Cathay earlier this year. We got what we thought was a very good price for Business Class by booking during one of their sales via Trailfinders. We spent a few days in HK on the way home.

LHR-HK and return was in their new BC cabin which was excellent, the HK--AKL segment was in the 'old' cabin, which was still good but not quite as good as the new. Very good value for money and would happily choose them over Virgin or BA.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
3. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class UK - New Zealand & Australia

Both Cathay Pacific and Air New Zealand offer excellent service in business class; however the seats on both airlines' planes used for HKG-AKL are (just IMO) not the most comfortable. They're laid out in a "herringbone" style with high walls separating the seats. Window seats face away from the windows, so you can't see outside unless you're Linda Blair and possessed; you also can't easily confer with the person next to you without one of you standing. While the seats aren't terribly narrow, the cubicle walls aren't much wider, hence the term "coffins" caught on early and stuck. Personally I find them claustrophobic.

Cathay Pacific has rolled out new business class seats that are far less confining, however they're not used on NZ flights. Like Air NZ, Cathay's business class seats on the HKG-AKL runs are "refreshed" versions of the old ones, i.e. a new coat of paint and upholstery, plus some more A/V bells and whistles. But they're still the same layout.

I would opt for Cathay "metal" (i.e. operated by CX, not a codeshare) if for no other reason you'll probably get the new business class between London and HKG, and because Cathay Pacific's lounges at HKG are to die for.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
4. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class UK - New Zealand & Australia

CX and NZ do code share HKG-AKL. As ibgardyloo said above, CX uses the older style fish bone layout which is rather confining. If you can get a CX ticket that offers Air NZ metal code share for the same price on HKG-AKL, then go with the code share flight on that leg; fly on CX metal HKG -LHR. The new CX business class is excellent.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
5. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class UK - New Zealand & Australia

Unfortunately according to the seat maps on Expert Flyer, NZ uses 772s on the HKG flights, with the old-space-old format herringbone layouts.

Northallerton...
6. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class UK - New Zealand & Australia

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful. Does anyone know about the CX business class on the Melbourne to HKG route (which we're thinking of on the return trip after a week or so in Tasmania and a few days in Melbourne) - are they the new BC config?

PS:

Have checked again re prices leaving the UK in January and returning in Feb - still seem very reasonable for BC - and even cheaper if we leave it until 1st Feb (sale period) but think we might get the better weather in Aus & NZ if we go Jan-Feb rather than Feb-March.

7. Re: Cathay Pacific Business Class UK - New Zealand & Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 07, 2014