We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

aussiesseetheworld
reviews: 53
Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

We're heading to London in June 2014 and are considering flying with Virgin Atlantic

Can you offer advice or insight into this airline?

We're looking at their Premium Economy and Upper Class offerings for two adults and a 13 year old and are thinking about going to LHR in PE and returning to SYD in Upper Class

Is it worth it for the $1800 difference in price?

Thanks for your help!

37 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 88
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

Is it worth it for the $1800 difference in price?

--------

Between what ? And is that Oz dollars? And is that each or for all 3?

Edited: 4:48 pm, September 03, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

Depends how you value your $1800. For that length of flight personally I'd say no question but then one of my pre-requisites for longhaul is a flat bed so my view is skewed. Others will be happy to fly cheapest. Read reviews of Virgin Upper Class and PE, look at their website and decide for yourself.

$1800 divided by 48hrs travel time plus a few extra on the ground equates to a very small amount to upgrade IMO.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
reviews: 9
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

I think the business class seats are only sloping lay flat.

The Qantas equivalent (Mk1) give me sore feet overnight, and I now avoid.

Northallerton...
reviews: 26
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

We've flown Virgin Atlantic twice in PE - both times to the USA in the last couple of years - and have been very pleased with the service / comfort etc and would willingly use them again. In fact, we're just starting to think about a trip to Australia in 2014 and checked out Virgin first but at the moment they don't offer the best prices in PE to Aus (well beaten by BA PE who are okay). Would never fly long haul in economy and only ever do it in PE or Business. Is it worth it? Yes it is for us - me at 6' 3" if only for the leg room and my wife with some disability so needs to stretch out - PE well worth it. Qantas PE (have used it to Aus) is also very good, even better than Virgin, but not cheap at the moment. Hope that helps.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

I think the business class seats are only sloping lay flat

Virgin Atlantic have had fully flat seats in business class for almost 10yrs now.

London, UK
reviews: 116
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

Virgin's Upper Class offering is pretty good, although I've always thought 'upper class' is a bit of a misnomer as actually it's their business class - they don't do First. Nevertheless the seats are good, offering plenty of privacy and a fully flat bed when you want it. Food, service etc are all pretty much what you'd expect from business class with most of the big flag carriers. For Premium Economy, think economy food and service, but with a wider seat, more legroom, and a smaller and quieter cabin environment. I personally don't like Virgin's PE seats -they recline so far that I find the legroom uncomfortably cramped if the person in front of me reclines their seat. But it's still miles bettter than being squashed in with the hordes in economy for the length of time you're contemplating. Just don't expect much more than a better seat.

Edited: 7:46 am, September 04, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 211
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

Given you have 2 night flights on the way into SYD compared to the other way around, I would pay the extra to go UC.

We flew the last time to Aus in PE with Virgin and it was okay but I can't say I slept too much (negligible on way out, about 3-4 hours coming back) whereas on our holiday this year we went business with Emirates and being able to lie down to sleep was bliss. Both of us slept for quite long chunks of the flight meaning we weren't total zombies when we landed.

Edited: 10:31 am, September 04, 2013
aussiesseetheworld
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

Thanks for these ideas

The cost for the three of us to come back in Upper Class to Sydney from London is an extra $5400

We're hearing that Upper Class can be a bit crowded with its herringbone design and that seats are not that comfortable

We'd appreciate some perspectives about whether the Premium Economy is a comfy alternative

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
reviews: 69
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

"We'd appreciate some perspectives about whether the Premium Economy is a comfy alternative"

No it isn't. You can compare PE positively to Economy, but not to UC. It's just about whether you think it's worth the extra money for lie-flat seats. All the rest (better food, service etc) is just icing, the bottom line is how long you're prepared to be sitting up for. Some people sleep just fine in PE, others don't. I don't and will always opt for a fully flat option if I can.

aussiesseetheworld
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class

Thanks for these great ideas

With so many options available, it's easy to get bamboozled!

I have heard that BA and Cathay have revamped their Premium Economy products

Have you travelled with these airlines?

I'd be so grateful to know how they compare with Virgin Atlantic on the Sydney-London long haul route

Reply to: Virgin Atlantic - Premium Economy & Upper Class
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted