We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airline helps with a missed connection?

Silver Spring
reviews: 46
Which airline helps with a missed connection?

Booked my trip through Delta Airlines, but return flights are Rome to Amsterdam on Alitalia and Amsterdam to U.S. on KLM. Only a 70 minute connection in Amsterdam. If Alitalia is late, and no more trips to my U.S. destination that day, which airline do I turn to for help in rebooking and overnight hotel costs?

United Kingdom
reviews: 53
1. Re: Which airline helps with a missed connection?

If??

Who booked this itinerary for you, and are you sure they factored in sufficient time to make those connections?

Please come back with more detail so we might be able to assist..

Manchester, United...
2. Re: Which airline helps with a missed connection?

It should be the delaying carrier who rebooks you (which would be Alitalia if they are late into AMS).

However, with your sort of itinerary, you may find that KLM will also help. Delta/KLM/Air France/Alitalia have a Joint Venture on journeys between North America and Europe. If you flew New York -Paris with Air France, then Alitalia will still get a share of the revenue from your ticket. With Amsterdam being dominated by KLM and Delta, it makes no difference ultimately which airline rebooks you, so long as it is still with one of the joint venture partners.

If the only rebooking options were on rival airlines and alliances such as United or US Airways, that might be a circumstance where KLM will shift responsibility to Alitalia. I would expect though that with the amount of seats Delta and KLM have to the USA (plus going via Paris with Air France), it would be very unfortunate if they could not find you seats on their own aircraft.

There is also the final potential wildcard of Dutch customer service. "That is not possible" is one of the first phrases that the Dutch are taught when they learn English. Again though, I think you'd be quite unfortunate if you met that sort of stubbornness.

In terms of overnight accommodation, that will almost certainly be Alitalia's responsibility.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Which airline helps with a missed connection?

Assuming all these flights are on the same (one) ticket then it's the ONWARD airline that rebooks you - not the inbound (delayed) carrier as mentioned by #2.

That said, KLM and Alitalia (together with Delta and Air France) are partners on Europe/US routes, so you'd get cooperation between the carriers, assuming a single through ticket.

If a hotel were needed, again speak first to the onward airline (KLM) and they will direct to to Alitalia if necessary.

Edited: 3:39 pm, August 31, 2013
UK
reviews: 26
4. Re: Which airline helps with a missed connection?

There is a very simple answer here - you go to a KLM transfer desk. Delta and KLM are both handled by KLM.

Rebooking happens very much automatically in cases of missed connections - you just go to the machine at the transfer desk and it will print out your new boarding pass along with a food voucher and various other goodies. If you are delayed overnight KLM will arrange a hotel for you, at their expense (they will probably get the money back from the operating carrier, but that doesn't need to concern you - all you need to know is that it's KLM that you turn to)

I would regard 70 minutes as a relatively comfortable connection at AMS. Minimum connecting time is 40 minutes. (I wouldn't be comfortable with 40 minutes... but I do 70 minute connections all the time, and can still count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have missed connections. And I have been connecting through AMS for the last 25 years, and connect at AMS a minimum of 15 times a year)

Chicago
reviews: 1
5. Re: Which airline helps with a missed connection?

If it makes you feel bettet, I had a similar connection in May and made it just fine, even with walking from one side of the airport to the other. At passport they said that they only consider under thirty minutes to be a "quick connection" where you might get to skip the line.

Chicago
reviews: 1
6. Re: Which airline helps with a missed connection?

I should have added, mine was also Alitalia to KLM, Rome to Chicago.

Manchester, United...
7. Re: Which airline helps with a missed connection?

" Assuming all these flights are on the same (one) ticket then it's the ONWARD airline that rebooks you - not the inbound (delayed) carrier as mentioned by #2. "

No. I'm afraid you are wrong, but thanks for your contribution. I assume you are a hobbyist so I won't hold it against you. Suggest you Google "IATA 735D."

The airline which reissues the ticket (or issues a FIM which is less common nowadays) is the one which takes the financial 'hit.' Whether the onward carrier will do this as a matter of customer service is one thing, but it is not obligated to do so.

UK
reviews: 26
8. Re: Which airline helps with a missed connection?

"The airline which reissues the ticket (or issues a FIM which is less common nowadays) is the one which takes the financial 'hit."

Just for clarification - "the airline that takes the financial hit" = "the airline that issued the ticket" (i.e., Delta in this case)?

In practical terms it obviously wouldn't make a difference in this particular case as it would be the KLM transfer desk that would handle the actual rebooking, but it's the sort of thing that is useful to know.

Edited: 4:24 pm, August 31, 2013
Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
9. Re: Which airline helps with a missed connection?

The two times I missed flights the hotels and onward connections were handled by the inbound carrier.

Manchester, United...
10. Re: Which airline helps with a missed connection?

" Just for clarification - "the airline that takes the financial hit" = "the airline that issued the ticket" (i.e., Delta in this case)? "

Not quite. Delta may take a financial hit if it does not transport the passenger on the AMS-New York flight (as an example) in as much as it just doesn't receive the ticketed revenue for that sector.

If Alitalia involuntary rerouted the passenger on United's AMS-New York flight, then Alitalia would reissue that part of the ticket on its own ticket stock. That means that if United claim more revenue for the flight, it is Alitalia which suffers. The remaining, unaffected flights, on the ticket remain as they are and revenue dished out accordingly.