We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight cancelled, compensation?

reviews: 5
Flight cancelled, compensation?

Hi,

We flew from Glasgow (UK) to Las Vegas via Philadelphia with US Airways the last 10 August and our flight from Philadelphia to Las Vegas got cancelled. We were offered to fly to Dallas on the evening and then from Dallas to Las Vegas the next morning. Overall we arrived 18 hours later that we should have.

My question is if we are covered by Regulation (EC) 261/2004 as our flight started in an EC country but the part of the flight that was cancelled started in the US.

Thanks,

Ivan

26 replies to this topic
Hanau, Germany
reviews: 8
1. Re: Flight cancelled, compensation?

No, it was a US domestic flight and US law applies.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Flight cancelled, compensation?

It depends on the circumstances for the cancellation of the last leg of your flight to Vegas but in principle as the flight commenced in GLA you are entitled to euros 600 per passenger for late arrival at final destination(type 3 flight) under EU 261/2004 but don't expect US Airways to just rollover and pay up-what reason was given?

3. Re: Flight cancelled, compensation?

Thanks. The flight was cancelled due to a technical problem. I sent them an email to complain and they offered me a $200 voucher which is a bit rubbish so I was wondering if I could reply back using the EU regulation to force them to offer me something better.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 28
4. Re: Flight cancelled, compensation?

Would it depend if it was all on the one ticket? Surely if it is it's basically one flight with a stop, not two separate flights.

5. Re: Flight cancelled, compensation?

It was all under one reservation but two flight numbers as every single airline does. I have flown a lot and never done a flight with a stop under the same flight number.

Romford, United...
6. Re: Flight cancelled, compensation?

Don't accept the voucher it has a few strings attached like being only valid for 12 months and they know they are liable for delay under EU261/2004-certainly worth pointing out to them in an e-mail EU261/2004 and it being a Type 3 flight, chances are the person you are dealing with in US is not familiar with this law (only domestic law)-remember they have to pay euros 600 per passenger on your booking and it's not negotiable

Romford, United...
7. Re: Flight cancelled, compensation?

Even if it's two separate flights(ie different flight numbers) under one booking they are still liable

8. Re: Flight cancelled, compensation?

Thanks. Do you have the link to the official website with that regulation?

Romford, United...
9. Re: Flight cancelled, compensation?

look up EU261/2004 on wiki for the digested version

Romford, United...
10. Re: Flight cancelled, compensation?

Ps Just got full compensation from another US airline for a flight emanating in Europe same circumstances-had to take them to small claims court though!!!

Reply to: Flight cancelled, compensation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted