We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

somerset
reviews: 27
Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

I understand there is a 7kg weight limit. However I have to take some electronic equipment in a case that weighs 11kg. How likely are they to weigh it? I have only ever had by carry on weighed once before and that was with Emirates.

There is no option to put it in the hold, so what are my chances?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
1. Re: Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

Not too experienced with Emirates, but with other airlines I've noticed that if carry on looks like it could be above limits then it has been weighed.

I suppose your chances could come down to who checks you in on the day, not really on what others have experienced previously I'm afraid.

NomadicForever
reviews: 14
2. Re: Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

Since they increased checked bags to 30 kg free, they are more sticky on cabin weight. As said before, it depends a lot on the check in agent.

Nuremberg, Germany
3. Re: Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

Didn't ever have carry on checked on any of my numerous Etihad flights, but things can change.

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 29
4. Re: Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

with most airlines you have to be able to lift hand luggage into the overheads. The weight limit is set, for one reason, at least, because if a bag falls from the overhead, it will hurt someone very badly- You are proposing to carry 50% more than the allowance and it could impact on others who want to take cabin bags. You will find, as has been said, that most airlines now weigh hand luggage, especially if it looks heavy. I would not assume that you will be able to take it in the cabin, they could make you change it for hold luggage, be prepared for this. Most people conform with the restrictions - you should do the same.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 26
5. Re: Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

The check in staff are now weighing a lot of hand luggage with Etihad, since they've increased their hold luggage allowance to 30kg.

There's a reason why the allowance in the cabin is low, it's because if your fell fell out of a locker onto a kid (perfectly possible) it would probably knock them out.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
6. Re: Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

If you take an 11 kg carry-on to check-in for an airline that has a 7 kg limit, there is a chance that the airline will insist that you check it as hold luggage.

Then what are you going to do? You have the choice of checking the valuable equipment or missing your flight.

Qantas insists that its 7 kg limit on cabin luggage is for the safety reasons already mentioned.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
7. Re: Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

Some airports also weigh your hand luggage as you go through immigration. I ha e had mine weighed in both Auckland d and Melbourne

somerset
reviews: 27
8. Re: Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

Well how is it that some airlines allow a 12kg limit? They all use the same planes - either Boeing or Airbus so they must all have the same overhead lockers. The thing is that the piece of equipment I will be taking weighs in at 7.5kg itsself, and when its in the case with power supply then it is nearly 11kg

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
9. Re: Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

"They all use the same planes - either Boeing or Airbus so they must all have the same overhead lockers."

Irrelevant that different airlines have different rules. We all agree to them when we make a booking.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
10. Re: Etihad Airways - do they weigh carry-on luggage at check-in?

Hi

Big pockets is what you need. I have a reversible rain jacket with four big pockets. Big enough for an iPad, chargers, camera, and any other heavy bulky stuff you want to take on board. Also stick a carrier bag in there so once on board you can empty your stuff into it.

Jackie