We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far ahead do you book your international flights?

Kansas City...
reviews: 79
How far ahead do you book your international flights?

How far ahead do you book your international flight? We are planning on going in early June 2014 to Dublin, Ireland. I have found some flights for about 880 from our midwestern mid-sized city (Kansas City) which seems pretty good but really what do I know! Not sure what I should expect to pay so although I think that is a good price I don't want to buy and regret it if/when the flights are cheaper closer to the trip.

Thanks!!

24 replies to this topic
Chiang Khong...
reviews: 1
1. Re: How far ahead do you book your international flights?

Hi

I always say if you find a flight in your budget and time schedule then book it..but be sure and get flight or travel insurance for a flight that far out you have no idea what might happen in the next year

but when you are booking a long way out be aware that your flights and equipment might change by the time your date arrives.

the fare will probably stay about the same price until 3 to 6 months before flight then start going up.

when you are checking prices be sure and check layover times and baggage charges between airlines

to give you a true price comparison.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
2. Re: How far ahead do you book your international flights?

I ususally wait until fares drop for my travel dates and then book, about two to three months out. This entails a bit of second guessing the airlines' willingness to lower fares and having noted times in previous years when fares have dropped.

The financial maxim that past performance is no guarantee of future results holds here. Revenue management do not divulge how fares are calculated and as such deciding when to buy is a leap of faith to a great extent.

I think it's too early to book for June next year, but if you're happy with the fares you've found and can afford to let the airline have your money for several months then book. Keep an eye on your booking (as above) to note any changes in filght times or equipment.

Raymond Terrace...
reviews: 19
3. Re: How far ahead do you book your international flights?

Best thing to do is to figure out which airlines fly from your home city to your destination. Then set up a 'fare alert' with that particular airline, which should give you a good idea of what's happening with the fares. Also check out a good online travel agency - Expedia and Travelocity are pretty good ones - and keep an eye on what the airfares are doing. I fly from Australia, and in my experience the cheap seats sell out very quickly.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: How far ahead do you book your international flights?

Buyers remorse is always a problem but if you are happy with the price then go ahead and book it and if there are changes to the schedule I always find it easier/quicker to sort changes if you deal directly with the airline than via a third party agent.

With the current uncertainties in the world at the moment the one thing you can be pretty sure of are that fuel prices are not going to be lower which is the main driver of airfare prices

UK
reviews: 84
5. Re: How far ahead do you book your international flights?

880 seems pretty good to me also, if you book now then that's one thing you don't have to worry about for the next several months, and you won't regret the price dropping if you don't check up on it after you bought. So don't :-)

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
6. Re: How far ahead do you book your international flights?

I usually wait until about 3 months before departure but I think that's a good price and doubt you'll get it much cheaper so if you're happy with that I'd book it, at least it's done and you can get on with planning your itinerary.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
reviews: 248
7. Re: How far ahead do you book your international flights?

I book my international flights - at least eight month in advise. I have always got a good price on my ticket.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 31
8. Re: How far ahead do you book your international flights?

3-6mths dependent on confirmation of other parts of the itinerary.

You can only monitor it so much, beyond that, it's an educated guess, budget and whether it's acceptable at that point in time for the individual. As advised, once you buy it, don't look back.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
9. Re: How far ahead do you book your international flights?

We do a LOT of long haul international travel and almost always book our flights as soon as they are released and almost ALWAYS get the best prices then.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
10. Re: How far ahead do you book your international flights?

I think that this may be different for folks from different parts of the world.

I go to Europe at least once a year and I have never bought tickets more than 4 months out.

I DO watch prices though and have found that IF there will be a "sale" it is usually one season before your flight sooo for fall it would be during summer etc.

In general for flights from the east coast of the USA and the west coast, anything under $1,000 round trip is a good price and in the $800s would be a GREAT price!! I have not priced flights from the midwest so don't know their history.

IF you buy now DO watch your itinerary carefully on line because flight times often change and the airlines rarely inform you of the changes until quite close to your flight when it might be too late for you to do anything about it if you don't like it.

Edited: 1:25 pm, August 31, 2013
Reply to: How far ahead do you book your international flights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted