We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

Newcastle, Australia
United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

I have booked a domestic flight (SFO>LV ) via the United airlines webpage and it has charged my credit card twice for the same booking.

I have tried to search for a phone number to call from Australia but had no luck in finding one.

The only other option I can find is the refund link on their webpage, but I don't want them to cancel my tickets I only want some of my money back.

cheers in advance.

16 replies to this topic
Raymond Terrace...
reviews: 19
1. Re: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

I found this info: https:/…australia.aspx

Melbourne
reviews: 7
2. Re: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

Have you actually had money taken out twice, or are there 2 "pending" charges?

I've had it happen to me before with other airlines (and some clothing stores) where, for whatever reason, the charge has shown up as "pending" twice but when it clears, it's only been taken off my card once.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
3. Re: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

Call your credit card company to see if it in fact is 2 separate charges or some extra "pending" charge that will eventually be dropped.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
4. Re: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

It is likely that United made an attempt to charge your card which failed partway through the process, and then successfully tried again.

Unfortunately, the online systems of some Australian banks do not distinguish between pending charges and actual charges, so online this looks like 2 actual charges. Leave it for a day or so, and one of the charges should disappear.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
5. Re: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

You don't say if you've contacted your credit card company. You can dispute a charge and they will pursue mattes with UA. I would phone them right away, and then worry about whether you need to file a complaint with them or contact UA.

UA's Web site lists 131-777 as the number for reservations in Australia. They should be apple to put you in touch with the billing folks. There is a form for customer service, but in the case of (perceived) double charging, you want to resolve things quickly.

Edited: 3:10 pm, August 30, 2013
UK
6. Re: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

We had this with Air Canada ... I wouldn't have known if I hadn't checked the credit card account online. Inevitably, it induced panic (the tickets were expensive and being 'charged' twice was using an awful lot of the credit limit!). We spent time and money on premium rate phone calls between different departments of the airline and the credit card company who couldn't explain what was happening.

However, it seemed that the airline had claimed the money (so it was listed as paid) but not actually taken it (if that makes sense?), so it was also pending - thus it was appearing twice. The 'pending' amount dropped off the following day.

Good luck!

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
7. Re: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

"You can dispute a charge and they will pursue mattes with UA"

I would not dispute the charge just yet, it might delay or stop ticketing. First call your CC company and see if those charges have actually been posted or are they still pending. In all probability, one of the charges will drop off. If it does not drop off after a few days, then contact the cc company again and dispute the charge.

Edited: 5:26 pm, August 30, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
8. Re: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

I meant that I'd call the credit card company and/or UA, and see if it is in fact a duplicate charge, and dispute it IF it's a dupe.

Raymond Terrace...
reviews: 19
9. Re: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

OP I assume that by saying you've been charged twice for the one booking you have seen this on your online statement? I had a similar occurrence recently when booking a flight for my upcoming Europe trip. The charges appeared twice - once in the transaction list, and once in the pending list. The account balance was showing that both amounts had been charged, but what quite often happens with foreign companies is that they put a 'hold' on an amount on your card while the transaction is processing, then after the transaction has been processed the hold comes off your card. With Australian banks the length of time this can take varies, but in my case the hold on that amount on my card disappeared after 10 days, and I was only eventually charged once.

Check with your bank - if there genuinely are two charges for the one purchase, your bank can sort it out.

UK
reviews: 87
10. Re: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.

Yes I've had the same situation with holds with BA had a charge of £1500 and an identical hold of £1500 which took a week to vanish. It was due to an it "glitch" it was there so long. Only visible on the online statement, not a real charge, annoying all the same as it reduces amount to spend through no fault if yours.

Odds are that's what it is you need to check with your credit card company.

Reply to: United Airlines have charged me twice for the same booking.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted