We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

Pryor, Oklahoma
reviews: 31
Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

Is it ok to smoke the new vapor type cigarettes on airplanes? We took a flight on american this week from Paris to DFW and two women in the row next to us where doing this to my surprise. I don't think the flight crew ever saw them so wasn't sure what to think, anybody know. It still had a smell to it and the was a really long flight. Thanks

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
reviews: 3
1. Re: Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

There is no smell at all...probably not allowed, but if nobody saw them, is it important?

Edited: 3:17 pm, August 28, 2013
Pryor, Oklahoma
2. Re: Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

Well these did have a strange smell and according to the FDA there is no way to know if they are safe for the people around them. It's a chemical and it has not been approved by the FDA.

Loughborough...
reviews: 20
3. Re: Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

You should have no problem using them on Ryanair. They sell them on board. However many airlines prohibit them as it becomes too difficult for other passengers or flight attendants/cabin crew to tell whether someone is smoking a real cigarette or one of these, especially the ones that are designed to look like real cigarettes. They do set off the smoke detectors in the lavatories by the way.

Pryor, Oklahoma
4. Re: Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

Intersting, had no idea. Thanks for your input.

Edited: 3:32 pm, August 28, 2013
Hitchin, United...
reviews: 34
5. Re: Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

Most airlines don't allow them for the very reason Andy suggested, but you'll see the airline's individual decision in the Ts+Cs when you book, there is no blanket airline / authority approval or ban either way. Not that it stops people, my airline bans them but people still use them and then get shirty when cabin crew ask them to refrain.

Most e-cig vapour doesn't have a smell at all, a minority of them do depending on the flavouring agents used, I've used a walnut flavoured one and my wife reported that she could smell walnuts and pipe smoke, but I've used another coffee flavoured one for a long time and no-one can detect a smell including my wife when she's sat next to me. If you could indeed smell it and it bothered you, you could have let your cabin crew know and they could have confirmed their own policy and dealt with the ladies accordingly.

Pryor, Oklahoma
6. Re: Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

Thanks, for your input. If it wasn't such a long flight and if there was no smell I probably would have not given it much thought, now I' m just curious. i was a ticket agent for American back in the days when you had to ask smoking or non-smoking which was a joke, if one person on that flight was smoking everyone else on the flight was forced to do the same. We have come such a long way, congratulations to you and good luck on your trying to find a way to stop smoking. Thanks for taking the time to give me the info.

Edited: 4:14 pm, August 28, 2013
Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
reviews: 3
7. Re: Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

hmm, I used to love smoking..but for health reasons....ecigs do help

United Kingdom
reviews: 53
8. Re: Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

Andyw33

They sell condoms in Boots the Chemist, but I'm not sure they would be happy if you used the product on their premises! LOL.

Loughborough...
reviews: 20
9. Re: Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

Surely depends what you used them for, Mondial. If the intended purpose then fair point.

But Ryanair don't have anything in their terms and conditions to prohibit using e-cigarettes (or condoms, for that matter). They don't sell condoms on board (are you listening, Mr O'Leary?) but they do sell e-cigarettes.

On my last two Ryanair flights people bought them from the cabin crew and immediately used them without any comment by the crew members.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
reviews: 28
10. Re: Smoking vapor cigarettes on plans?

I thought they were called smokeless cigarettes they sold on Ryanair not the electronic variety? I have been tempted to buy some to see what they consist of but not paying €6 for a packet when I have my own electronic one.Did you actually see what they look like and work.Intruiged!!!

Edited: 7:30 pm, August 28, 2013