We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from terminal 1 to 5 at o'hare only carry-on baggage

Warsaw, Poland
getting from terminal 1 to 5 at o'hare only carry-on baggage

I have a question about the time required to change at transfer connection. I arrive at the terminal 1 and fly out from Terminal 5. I will have only carry-on luggage.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
1. Re: getting from terminal 1 to 5 at o'hare only carry-on baggage

Time required will depend on if you are arriving from Europe or from another USA city.

IF you are arriving from Europe you will have to go through immigration and customs and probably a security check before going to the next terminal. As a USA citizen who only travels with carryons I like to have 2 hrs. between flights when I arrive home from Europe in the SAME terminal so I'd suggest that you might want more time as a foreign national who needs to change terminals.

Chicago
reviews: 1
2. Re: getting from terminal 1 to 5 at o'hare only carry-on baggage

I think the OP is doing a domestic to international transfer, not the other way around.

Basically you need to head towards baggage claim with the rest of the passengers and then take the airport tram to Terminal 5, where you will need to reclear security. The actual tram ride will only take a few minutes, most if your time will be spent getting to the tram and going through security.

This also presumes you are travelling on one ticket. If you are on separate tickets and need to check in for your international flight that would add extra time.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
3. Re: getting from terminal 1 to 5 at o'hare only carry-on baggage

OOPs! Sorry I got it backwards! I was thinking 5 to 1 not the other way around.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: getting from terminal 1 to 5 at o'hare only carry-on baggage

If you are on one ticket and are checked in for the whole trip at your initial point of departure then figure an hour to make the transfer. That's from walking off the plane to being at the gate in T5. It could be a lot shorter if the security line in T5 is short, but probably won't be longer than an hour. I would want a connection of 2-3 hours, or even longer since this is an international flight, to allow for delays. Domestic flights to and from Chicago unfortunately have a lot of delays.

5. Re: getting from terminal 1 to 5 at o'hare only carry-on baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 30, 2014