We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

How positiveto see an airline - and in particular, a LCC - giving away something for nothing.

Virgin have anew on-board wireless IFE system available free of charge to any passenger with a smartphone, tablet or laptop.

You just download the free Virgin Entertainment App before takeoff and then using the app to hook into the on board wifi. The IFE has movies, TV programmes, docos, information, music.....and most importantly 'the map'

In in the current climate of airlines, particularly LCCs, charging for everything but the air we breathe, this came as a very pleasant surprise. Any other airlines around offering this service? Ryanair perhaps? ;-)

virginaustralia.com/au/…

10 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 78
1. Re: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

Would be reluctant to refer to Virgin as a Low Cost carrier anymore to be honest. The business model is changed from its original launch, and with its direct challenge to Qantas it is moving closer and closer to a full service model, most notably be now providing free food and drinks on flights longer than 2.5 hours on its short haul services.

That being said, this is definitely a great innovation.

Australia
reviews: 28
2. Re: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

Ha!

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!!!

Sydney/Melbourne
3. Re: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

No, it's free IFE not free BLT 😁

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
4. Re: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

Cheers for the news Eva!

If prices are within compatible range of Jetstar on certain legs, it could be just enough for me to be swayed. I don't have any particular preferences on domestic flights, although the lounge will be a challenge. If only Virgin did something about their lounges also...

But free BLT, yeah sign me up!

Edited: 12:18 am, August 28, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
5. Re: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

KVE I take it you haven't seen the new Virgin lounge in Sydney? Quite stunning. Huge but divided off so you never feel its size. On 2 levels. Never feels crowded.

Absolutely love their dedicated security screening straight into the lounge from outside. I always have security all to myself and if you don't have checked luggage there's no need to go through the terminal building.

Now all they have to improve is the food which is very ordinary.

Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
reviews: 61
6. Re: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

Southwest Airlines? http://www.southwest.com/wifi/

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6752798…

Does VA work with Android devices yet?

Edited: 12:43 am, August 28, 2013
Sydney/Melbourne
7. Re: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

They claim it does. Mines an iPhone so can't verify that.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
8. Re: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

No I haven't actually, it's been a fair while.

I just finished talking to my brother about the Virgin lounge in Sydney, and he echoed your sentiments almost verbatim. Brilliant space, but simple food. We've previously had this Virgin vs Qantas thing in our family and I thought he was just being typically biased - as it stands its a 4:1 vote for Virgin in the family, with me being the lone stubborn faithful. But with your recommendation, it sounds like a decent product indeed, and definitely must consider it.

australia
reviews: 17
9. Re: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

How positiveto see an airline - and in particular, a LCC - giving away something for nothing.

Mr Borghetti would be mortified to see Virgin being referred to as a LCC nowadays. He has worked so hard to lift their profile

Good direction to go though with IFE

Edited: 8:06 am, August 28, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 17
10. Re: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system

I used this last week on a flight from BNE- SYD. I was in a J seat so FA came around and checked we knew how to connect. It was the first I had heard of it.

I quickly paired the iPhone to the IPad to download the App while we were still boarding.

Good selection on it and no issues using it. Hopefully they will update content frequently.

Reply to: Something for nothing from VA......new IFE system
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted