We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

Hey,

Momondo and Skyscanner often find cheap tickets at airtickets.com, travelgenio.com, travel2be ...

What are your experiences with these websites, are they legitimate and safe to book air tickets with?

I found some (not so good) opinions about airtrip.com on this forum, but I cannot find anything useful about above mentioned websites (maybe I have overlooked it?)

Many thanks for your answers!

Edited: 11:47 am, August 25, 2013
69 replies to this topic
madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 22
1. Re: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

always book direct with the airlines. 'Cheap' tickets usually turn out to be anything but.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
2. Re: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

That seems to be the easiest answer (thanks though!), but seriously - did anybody already use those websites and have first-hand information about them?

Edited: 12:28 pm, August 25, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
3. Re: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

Never use them, always search out deals on the website of the airlines I check to find the best deal with the aiirlne then see if my friendly local travel agent can equal or beat the price, they always can equal or beat the price.

Problem with those 3rd party websites ( and I have looked at them ) is that often you get some cheap fare but routing / connections etc are not good, or, you are not seeing all the options. Hence never use them.

Edited: 1:21 pm, August 25, 2013
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

Their homepage seems to indicate I can get a fligth (their spelling not mine) from 6£ to Paris and the Baleares. Wow that almost sounds too good to be true.

Edited: 1:45 pm, August 25, 2013
Romford, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

Travelgenio's payments page (frequently asked questions) is pretty scary reading as well, they seem to be reassuring the victim sorry I mean client "hey don't panic if we charge you twice for the same transaction, it's only a glitch which we will sort out sometime, maybe"

Airtickets.com looks like they operate out of an accommodation address and I can't find any record of them or their management company Airtickets Travel Services Ltd at companies house

Well I had my say!!!

London
reviews: 21
6. Re: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

often you get some cheap fare but routing / connections etc are not good <<<<<

So very true. Just researched a fare from U.K. to India, for a friend who of the older generation does not have PC.

Some of the cheaper options through the third party sites had horrendous connection times of upto 20 hours. Then there are credit card charges - booking direct with airline often involves no charges for credit card booking.

Getting bit boring repeating 'always book direct with airline'

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
7. Re: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

Just because you've found a cheap site via a reputable meta-search engine, does not mean that company is reliable. It's akin to you saying "I found it on Google, so it must be great".

If there were such great third party sites, everybody would be talking about them, and you would have heard of them.

Either that or you're the very first person to have found such an amazing site for cheap airline tickets.

I wouldn't use them, but that's just me.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
8. Re: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

"Some of the cheaper options through the third party sites had horrendous connection times of upto 20 hours. Then there are credit card charges - booking direct with airline often involves no charges for credit card booking"

- - -

I think that is completely irrelevant since you can clearly see that at Skyscanner or Momondo already and eliminate such unsuitable combinations of flights before you even start with the booking procedure.

But after reading all other arguments, you convinced me somehow. However, I don't like generalised answers too much, I was asking about first-hand experiences specifically with above mentioned websites (eg. do you get valid tickets after the payment is processed?). Thanks anyway.

Edited: 4:05 pm, August 25, 2013
London
reviews: 21
9. Re: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

If you think horrendous connections times and high credit card charges are irrelevant then go ahead and book - good luck.

I am sure that well over 90 pct of bookings with these sites are without problems. The problems arise if you want to cancel/amend or need any sort of customer assistance - which is non existent with a lot of these sites.

Edited: 4:15 pm, August 25, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
10. Re: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??

You do not need to be convinced by our generalized answers. Try it out, and let us know how you went.

Reply to: Opinions on booking on airtickets.com, travelgenio.com ...??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted