We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

Cape Town, Western...
reviews: 44
Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

I have posted this elsewhere too.

I am departing Trivandrum airport at 04:30 in the morning on an Emirates flight to Dubai. I don't really want to pay for another night in the hotel since I have to be at the airport at 01:30 in the morning. Will I be able to check in at 23:00? Will they let me into the departures terminal so I can find a seat and be safe (I am travelling alone)?

Has anyone else done this flight before and what would you recommend?

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

Emirates usually open check in 3 hours prior to departure.

Edited: 11:54 am, August 24, 2013
London
reviews: 21
2. Re: Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

I arrived at Trivandrum around midnight, Kirsty, for the 4.30 flight few months ago. Best of memory had to wait around with case, for check in to open around 1 am.

I always pay for extra night and then leave hotel late evening

Newcastle, United...
reviews: 4
3. Re: Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

I know at Mumbai they have not let us into the Airport until 4 hours before departure, I would either pay for an extra night or find a hotel close to airport I am sure there will be some reasonably priced ones around. Hanging around outside an airport is fine if there are more than one of you but I wouldn't fancy it on my own

Edited: 12:08 pm, August 24, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
4. Re: Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

The hotel you're staying at the night before will be able to store your luggage on your departure day so I would return there in the evening, if the have a restaurant have dinner then hang around in the bar or lobby until it's time to go to the airport.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 234
5. Re: Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

I agree,the airport is dark and grim at night even when it is busy with others checking in for your 04.30 flight.

Stay at your hotel as long as possible.

SS

dewsburyYorkshire
reviews: 36
6. Re: Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

We always book extra night when we arrive at 3.30am so we can go to bed, and book extra night when leaving , so we can have a nap and leave at 1am for airport...a lot of hotels have to be vacated at 11am anyway, so its a long day without a room to get showered in. etc....

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 87
7. Re: Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

Don't forget to carry a printed copy of your e-ticket. Otherwise the armed security guards won't let you into the terminal.

dewsburyYorkshire
reviews: 36
8. Re: Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

We dont have tohave a printed copy of E.tickets..maybe you have with flying from Thialand....

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 87
9. Re: Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

Re#8: It is not about flying. India has ongoing internal terrorism problems, so they at least try to have strict security at the airports.

One part of the security is the armed guards at the entrance doors. They permit only passengers and authorized personnel to enter the terminal. They check your passport and the printed e-ticket as a means to verify that you are entitled to be in the terminal building. Good luck trying to argue that you have an e-ticket - those guards did not look flexible. Obviously it would be trivial to make up a piece of paper that looks like an e-ticket for an upcoming flight, since the guards don't actually validate the supposed ticket against a database.

They also won't let you enter before your flight opens for check-in. Sometimes my ride into Bangalore airport arrived early and then I had no choice but to wait outside until check-in opened. Fortunately in Bangalore there is a roofed area with benches in front of the building. This was not the case at the New Delhi domestic terminal.

It is also really difficult to exit the departures side of a terminal except by flying out. Once we found out that we had not been ticketed only at the check-in counter. Getting back out was a big bureaucratic hassle with a visit to a special office and several signatures required.

The hassles will continue inside the airport. They provide you with special paper tags for your hand baggage. These are stamped by the security at the baggage screening point. You had better not lose it since it will be checked again at the gate by another set of armed security guards. It is also a good idea to check that the date stamp is correct. Once they had forgotten to change the date and we had a bit of a hassle at the gate trying to get through with an out-of-date tag. The only solution was rushing back and getting the bag screened and stamped again at the security checkpoint. Luckily we had the time.

Cape Town, Western...
reviews: 44
10. Re: Trivandrum Airport - Departing at 4:30 a.m.

Wow, okay will be very careful with all my paperwork! Thanks