We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

Toronto, Canada
WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

Half the fleet size, no wide-bodies, half the destinations, and mysteriously cancelled flights with no explanation -- of course, absolutely nothing to do with the 12 people waiting the terminal....

Considering that WestJet is approximately the same price as AC, isn't remotely comparable in terms of loyalty programs, has no lounge network and just as cheap in terms of meals/amenities, I can't see any benefit to flying with WJ except for maybe the belief that one is sticking it to The Man? Meanwhile, The Man is putting me in one of the widest coach seats in North America on a silky-smooth Airbus, so I hope the good feeling of being loyal to WJ makes up for everything else.

18 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

Someone's up late in AC's press office ! ;-)

2. Re: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 am, October 12, 2013

London, United...
reviews: 22
3. Re: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

Lol.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
4. Re: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

Glad to hear AC works for you

==============

Could be the other way round.

London, United...
5. Re: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

Sadly. I don't think he does work for air Canada, it would be less ridiculous if he did.

Unless i am mistaken, they have been privatised so " sticking it to the man" which normally is a phrase used to refer to government makes no sense really. If he worked for them he would know they had been privatised, right?

Otherwise, I have no clue what " man" is putting him in the sky,,,,

Edited: 4:33 am, August 24, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

"The Man" in this case is the dominant airline (AC). The OP lives on Toronto where AC is dominant, and so AC works for him (I agree not vice versa). But it's silly to put down WS (headquartered in Calgary) just because of that.

WestJet does very well thank you very much through its code shares (providing feeders and onward connections) to a lot of non Star Alliance airlines, notably -

Air France, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, China Eastern, China Southern, Delta, Japan Airlines, KLM and Korean Air.

Those pax will happily accrue the miles on their own airline programs, and quite possibly have lounge access through their own programs.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
7. Re: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

Yeah I'm sure AC have surely got bigger and better things to do, but it does really sound like one of those blatent amateurish shills you get on here sometimes. Completely out of the blue and quite amusing.

London, United...
8. Re: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

Yep, it does...

Usbt thanks...

Wolverhampton
reviews: 21
9. Re: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

I liked WestJet when I was over in Canada. Attentive flight staff and announcements that were amusing enough to hold your attention but get the message across. This trip am having to use Air Canada because WestJet do not cover really the route between Montreal and Toronto. What Air Canada needs is the equivalent based in Toronto as serious competition so that it does not get complacent.

Would be interesting if WestJet started behaving like a low fares airline that it is sometimes marketed as over here. The OP rightly says there is no difference in fares so a cut in fares or a fare war may be of benefit to travelers. What Canada needs is a true low cost airline.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
10. Re: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.

On a recent trip to Canada I had 4 internal flights. choice of Westjet and AC on all of them. Westjet were significantly cheaper so got my business on all 4 flights. Great flights. On time. Nice staff. No complaints.

Reply to: WestJet is inferior to Air Canada -- just saying.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted