We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Berlin Horror Story

Austin, TX
reviews: 4
Air Berlin Horror Story

I had the misfortune of flying Air Berlin in June from Chicago to Nice (via Berlin and Dusseldorf). My wife's bag was lost en route, and finally found and returned 12 days later. We filed a claim for expenses incurred to replace necessary items during this period (as instructed by Air Berlin) and later learned that only about 40% of the expenses would be reimbursed. I replied to Air Berlin that this was unacceptable and asked how to proceed and with whom. No response. 3 weeks later, I tried again and no response. I then posted on their Facebook page and immediately received a response that they would forward my request to customer service, but that was a week ago and still no response.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how I should follow up and with whom to try and get an acceptable resolution? Needless to say, I will never fly Air Berlin again and would strongly urge the TripAdvisor community to be wary of this airline.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
1. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

What about claiming the difference from your travel insurance?

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

Claim on your travel insurance.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

Travel insurance?

I think the title of your post is more than a little over the top. It's hardly a horror story!

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
4. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

If delayed baggage is a reason not to fly an airline none of us would ever be flying. There must have been plenty of 1-stop options you could have chosen for that routing, that would have limited the risk of your wife's bag going astray.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
5. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

If they are only allowing part of your purchases, I wonder if you extended the definition of "necessary items" Also, check your homeowners policy. It sometimes will give you money for things like this.

Quebec City
reviews: 39
6. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

Luggage delayed for 12 days? The horror, the HORROR! Air Berlin must fly into the Heart of Darkness.

Seriously, all airline, all airport may lose luggage. It happens. It was returned? Hurrah! I agree with the above replies as to your claim for compensation. If they didn't not fully reimburse, it might be because you went beyond what they compensate for, check your insurance.

Aberdeen, Scotland
reviews: 211
7. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

I'm surprised they are giving you anything! Our luggage didn't arrive with us into Auckland and so had to buy things but it was my insurance company I put my claim into.

Exeter, United...
reviews: 36
8. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

Necessary expenses are not neccessarily like for like and quite rightly there is a limit. Otherwise unscrupulous people will exaggerate a loss.

It is not neccessarily Air Berlins fault that airport staff misdirect luggage.

If I were you I would avoid all the airports you used on your itinery so as to ensure it won't happen again. Indeed it's best off that you only drive and take a cruise in future so as to avoid the vicissitudes of life. But then again...there is the weather and icebergs to watch out for.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
9. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

Air Berlin have been having problems with connecting flights through Berlin, a lot of luggage seems to be going missing. The airport should have moved to BER some time ago ,I now hear maybe another 2 years. Hopefuly they can improve things at Tegel in the meantime.

Austin, TX
reviews: 4
10. Re: Air Berlin Horror Story

Folks, I certainly understand luggage is misplaced by all airlines. I have spared you all the details, but my issue is the lack of responsiveness by Air Berlin to my attempt at communicating with them throughout the delay period as well as after. They now claim that credit card receipts are not accepted yet failed to mention that at the outset. They refused to deliver the bag in a city they don't fly to, thus extending the delay even further. And no one from the airline will give me the courtesy of a response to help resolve the matter. Before I resort to my own homeowners policy, why not hold the airline accountable? You try going without any changes of clothes, shoes, cosmetics, etc. for 12 days and see what an inconvenience it is. Total purchase were under $500 for a sweater, pajamas, a couple of tops and pants, sandals and cosmetics. Pretty reasonable for being in France. I just want to talk with someone at Air Berlin.