We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Man bag

Brighton, United...
reviews: 3
Man bag

My husband and I are each allowed one piece of cabin luggage. I am also allowed a ladies handbag but is my husband allowed to take a man bag on board?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Man bag

Airline?

Brighton, United...
2. Re: Man bag

Sorry, Singapore airlines

Edited: 8:42 am, August 21, 2013
Brighton, United...
3. Re: Man bag

Sorry, forgot to say we are flying with Singapore Airlines - their luggage allowance includes a ladies hand bag but their is no mention re 'man bag'

UK
reviews: 89
4. Re: Man bag

Yes, usually under the guise of a laptop bag, I often take a very small laptop bag, without the laptop.

Its spelled out here singaporeair.com/en_UK/…

Ottawa, Canada
5. Re: Man bag

dare I ask what a man bag is?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
6. Re: Man bag

001 you seriously have to ask ? You can't work it out from the combination of the two words used ?

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 140
7. Re: Man bag

It's a satchel like bag that has a long strap usually worn across the body.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 80
8. Re: Man bag

Popular in parts of Europe, it is a man's purse. And yes, for much of the rest of the world, it looks like a man carrying a purse.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 85
9. Re: Man bag

This is why most airlines now say "one carry-on and one personal item", without getting too specific!

UK
reviews: 89
10. Re: Man bag

Funnily enough, the Singapore Airlines website does not actually state that only women can take a handbag.

It says you can take on board, any or all of these

You may carry onboard the articles listed below free of charge, over and above your free baggage allowance (subject to local country specific restrictions, if any):

Ladies' handbag

Overcoat

Umbrella

Walking stick

Laptop / Notebook

Small camera

Reading material

Infant’s food for consumption in flight / infant’s carrying basket

A pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them

So nothing there to say that a man cannot carry a ladies handbag, and I'm not sure how they would determine what is a ladies handbag as a opposed to a mans handbag, handbags don't actually have a gender..

Edited: 12:30 pm, August 21, 2013