We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

Mickleover, null...
Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

Can any one tell me if I am entitled to compensation for a flight cancelled for engine failier and travelled the next day arranged by flybe put up in a hotel over night arranged by flybe, but lost a days holiday and there was very poor organization by the flybe staff. I understood that if delayed over 3hrs you were entitled to claim compensation if it was not your fault, the blame lie's with flybe.

26 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

You might be able to claim under eu261. However it won't be applicable if the fault/delay was out of their control or extraordinary circumstances.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 126
2. Re: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

No, I don't think so because it was because of engine failure, I'd just be glad it didn't take off with me on it.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
3. Re: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

An engine failure can easily be non-extraordinary.

Mickleover, null...
4. Re: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

Thanks for the replies but am not convinced as this came out last year Last October the European Union’s Court of Justice passed a judgment that many consumers who arrived over three hours late at their destination would be due compensation. This clarified a long-standing rule which airlines had previously challenged. We also had arranged for transport in Jersey but was refused as we were a day late, we had to make out own way to the hotel. and lost a days holiday. Please give you opinions please.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

You're not convinced of what? There's no doubt that you are entitled to compensation *unless* the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances. Engine failure will usually be non-extraordinary. The airline is not responsible for your missed transport or whatever accommodation you lost so fouces on the delay compensation.

Edited: 6:26 pm, August 23, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

Here's the information you need - airpassengerrights.eu/en/flight-delay.html

Mickleover, null...
7. Re: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

Thank you for your Information the air line wrote me a letter saying I was not entitlled to compentation is this the normal way of treating all claims thinking you will forget all about it.

Mickleover, null...
8. Re: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

Thank you for your Information the air line wrote me a letter saying I was not entitlled to compentation is this the normal way of treating all claims thinking you will forget all about it.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
9. Re: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

I think that's pretty normal for airlines. I think most passengers would likely not pursue it after receiving a letter like that. Your flight was delayed overnight, but they got you there and paid for the hotel. I assume they also gave you the option to simply cancel the flight. I understand that you were inconvenienced and are understandably upset that you lost a day of a holiday, but that's normally all the airline would do. If you suffered any other financial losses, you'd have to claim from travel insurance if you had it.

UK
reviews: 24
10. Re: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey

wes032, under EU law (EU261/2004, to be precise) passengers are entitled to a fixed amount of compensation if a flight is delayed for more than a certain number of hours, unless the delay is due to circumstances outside the airline's control (such as adverse weather)

So, whether it's fair or not (a lot of people think it isn't) the OP is entitled to compensation in this case.

There are two parts to EU261/2004 - a right to compensation, and a right to care. The right to care provision applies regardless of the reason for the delay - if a flght is delayed, for any reason, the airline has to provide food and accommodation (if delayed overnight), and the customer may also claim the cost of a phone call or fax to notify someone of the delay. There is no entitlement to any expenses over and above that, so the OP would not be able to claim the cost of their pre-booked accommodation or airport transfer - though that would probably be more than covered by the fixed fee compesation.

Reply to: Cancelled flybe flight to Jersey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted