We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

London, England...
reviews: 1
Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

Aside from seeking insurance assistance, what other advise can be given on action to take on getting assistance with getting a discount on re-booking air fare with BA? A client was given very unhelpful assistance with his young family on a return trip from Uganda on Monday 19th August 2013. Following several conflicting information from ground staff upon finding no one at the check-in desk at 8:30am, NO whereabouts of check-in staff and BA ground staff in their (airport) offices at the time, no contact telephone numbers for assistance were on display, the client and his whole family missed their flight. When client called the office number at Kampala office he was advised to call the office at the airport - where he was standing at the time of making the call! After failing to get assistance from the BA ground staff in Kampala office, he rung his travel agents. Following protracted discussions, client has been told he has to pay a full £3,000 to have his whole family return - irrespective. Reason given: he failed to notify BA ground staff in Ebb while the plane was still on ground - staff who magically were never visible. On behalf of the client and because I truly like to believe that BA has professional attitudes and has been very helpful to me on the occasion I've flown with them, I would be grateful to know if there is any one in BA that can help this family out.

London
reviews: 73
1. Re: Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

The flight from Entebbe to Heathrow is at 0925, so you may find that the check in had already closed by 0830.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
2. Re: Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

Whose client?

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 62
3. Re: Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

At an out station BA will have a limited number of staff. Once checkin has closed the staff will be at the boarding gate to ready the flight for departure. They will not leave staff in checkin just incase a late passenger turns up. BA's priority is to make sure the flight has an on time departure. This is why there were no staff in the checkin area.

If this family only tried to checkin 55 mins before departure they will be a no show and their ticket will be cancelled. So it is correct that they have to buy a new ticket for their flight. If they had a return ticket the return portion will also be cancelled.

You need to check BA's site to see what the latest time for checkin was. Checkin does not stay open past this time. It appears your clients were possibly too late. It is generally not the staff who close checkin but the computer system automatically closes the checkin. Staff will not wait for late passengers.

It would appear it was your clients fault and not BA's, a hard lesson to learn.

4. Re: Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, August 19, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

Are you 8.45am was not the time they had to be at the gate? Sounds odd to me if bagdrop closed as late as 40 minutes prior to departure.

London, England...
6. Re: Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

No. They were advised by airport security upon arrival to go upstairs to BA offices. Upon reaching there, with no staff member and no way of contacting any BA staff to alert them to their predicament, they waited until I sent them the contacts for the office number in Kampala.

London, England...
7. Re: Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

8:45am is what the boarding pass he printed out after doing his online check-in states.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
8. Re: Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

Grace I don't think your client would appreciate having his full name splashed around on a public forum viewable to millions of people. For his sale I think you should report your post for deletion.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
9. Re: Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

"Upon reaching there, with no staff member and no way of contacting any BA staff to alert them to their predicament"

But if they missed check-in that's to be expected. I would ask your client to look again at his boarding pass, I have a feeling the 8.45am time was the time to be at the gate.

London, England...
10. Re: Missed plane from Ebb Uganda due to poor BA customer care

Thanks for your concern - it's appreciated. He gave the ok.