We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 202
Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

I have a couple of super longhaul flights (Aus-UK) planned, and I'm considering investing in a good pair of noise cancelling headphones.

I've never used them before, are they worth it?

I've read that Bose make some of the best.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Abs :)

47 replies to this topic
Gerogery West...
Destination Expert
for Moab
reviews: 60
1. Re: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

Bose do make some of the best. I have the QC-15 and I'm very happy. Couldn't say if they are THE best as I haven't tried many others.

Melbourne
reviews: 7
2. Re: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

My bf has a pair of V Moda M-100 (I think that's the style) headphones.

He did a lot of research and in-store comparisons before he chose them. I thought it was ridiculous to spend so much money but I must say, they're fantastic! He used them on our Melb - NYC flights earlier this year.

I'm sure you'll get further suggestions so if you're spending a bit of money, make sure to do your own research and try a few different types in person before you buy.

Edited: 5:23 am, August 19, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
3. Re: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

Bose are good.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 173
4. Re: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

V Moda M-100 are noise isolating, not noise cancelling.

Bose are excellent but very expensive.

Melbourne
5. Re: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

^^ when I put the V Moda ones on without any music I can't hear a thing - not even someone talking to me right in front of me! They cancel all noise out for me :)

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
6. Re: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

I also have the Bose Quiet Comfort 15. No complaints.

London, UK
reviews: 112
7. Re: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

I gave up with noice-cancelling headphones - they require batteries and I found the noise-isolating type, which don't, just as effective. The V Moda M-100 are indeed excellent if you want headphones but on flights I prefer earphones - they don't weigh anything or take up any space in my hand luggage, I can wear them while lying on my side, and once you get the fit of the plugs right (which I admit can take a bit of trial and error) I find them very comfortable as well as effective at blocking the outside noise. I've been using Shure earphones for years, with silicone plugs.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
8. Re: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

^^ when I put the V Moda ones on without any music I can't hear a thing - not even someone talking to me right in front of me! They cancel all noise out for me :)

--------------------

That's noise isolating not noise canceling.

Kendal, United...
reviews: 115
9. Re: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

Have to agree with post 7, and go along with their findings

I gave up on them as I found they gave me a headache after a while - too heavy, kept slipping off, and very bulky to wear and carry, I now use in ear buds with their own volume control, and take a small adapter in case the connection is 2 pin.( always take a spare pair as well for backup as they take up no room)

Huddersfield...
reviews: 4
10. Re: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?

Bose are fantastic but also a fantastic price, I bought some Sony MDR-ZX600 for £34.99 reduced from £50ish at Currys for my forth coming holiday to Mauritius, I only ever use headphones during flight so didn't give in to Bose price which was well over £100. I have the Sony plugged into my CD player with tv volume on high, tv sound was drowned out completely, cd sound production very clear and crisp, they are very comfortable and light to wear and also have a flat cord which will probably avoid the annoying tangles. Hope this is helpful, happy holiday.

Reply to: Best Noise-cancelling headphones?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted