We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

Chapel-en-le-Frith...
reviews: 30
Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

Hi all

I'm flying Ryanair, then Wizz a few weeks after on two separate trips, both are weekend's away, so essentially 3 nights.

What can you fit in something that is just 42x32x25cm (Wizz) or 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (Ryanair). This seems absolutely tiny, obviously I want to take a toiletry bag and spare t-shirt/pair of socks.

It is best just wearing 2 jackets, to get around the these allowances and carry stuff like my camera on my person?

27 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

The allowances aren't ridiculous - they are clearly published on the respective websites and you know before booking.

If it's not enough you either choose another carrier, such as BA, with a more generous allowance with the possibility of a higher ticket price or pay the fees for a checked bag.

You can of course wear a jacket/coat with pockets but don't even think of exceeding the published allowances for cabin bags or it will cost you a lot of money.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
2. Re: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

They're not ridiculous. You'd be surprised what you can fit in Ryanair size and 10kg. Lot's of people only take hand luggage for a full holiday, never mind 3 nights.

Any toiletries (liquids) will have to put in your liquids bag, and be less than 100ml each.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

You will be surprised what you can fit in a Ryanair size cabin bag. I recently used a bag this size for a weekend away and fitted in clothes plus a change of shoes quite easily. Roll your clothes rather than folding them and they take up less space. Remember if you are taking toiletries any liquids, gels etc need to be packed in a separate resealable clear bag. Enjoy your trip.

Leyland sunaddict - we were obviously writing at the same time!

Edited: 5:52 am, August 18, 2013
Scotland
reviews: 44
4. Re: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

You could buy your toiletries on arrival at your destination or take travel sizes, or use the shampoo, shower gels from your hotel. If all else fails go with another airline or check your bag. This is one of the reason I personally avoid Ryanair other than a trip there and back on the same day. Good luck packing :0)

Kent, United Kingdom
reviews: 35
5. Re: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

You could fit a guide book to Derbyshire in it and stay at home.....

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
6. Re: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

Small carry on sizes enable EVERYONE to get a bag on the aircraft, versus just those who board first ( many times pushing their way in) This is much much fairer than expecting some passengers to end up with NO baggage in the passenger cabin. As said, either pack light, check a bag or fly another airline.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
7. Re: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

Just pay the fee for checked luggage.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

>> This seems absolutely tiny, obviously I want to take a toiletry bag and spare t-shirt/pair of socks. <<

I don't fly Ryanair, but I take a toiletry bag (standard liquids rules) and change of clothes in my computer bag when I travel on short trips. And on one week business trips I pack all my clothes in my carry on for less than 10kg. What's the issue?

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

Agree, just pay and take a checked bag. You should have known the allowances before you booked and associated costs.

Wearing two jackets with everything in the pockets to save a few bucks is up to you, not my scene though. Not only will you look daft, you will probably be quite hot and uncomfortable as well. Again, each to their own.

UK
reviews: 87
10. Re: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!

The only thing thats ridiculous is complaining after you booked ! If you don't like it don't book or pay for the luggage.

Reply to: Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted