We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

devon
reviews: 11
Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

Looking for some advice here as websites I've looked at seem to be contradicting one another...

I've just been delayed by 26 hours at Auckland due to a 'technical fault' with a Singapore Airlines plane. We were kept at the airport for 6 hours while they tried to fix the fault but eventually had to be put up in a hotel.

We were able to fly at 2pm the following day (26 hours later) after our proposed flight time kept being out back and put back.

We missed our connecting flight to London Heathrow from Changi because of this, eventually arriving into London 32 hours later than scheduled.

While I cannot really fault Singapore Airlines for their efforts in such circumstances- the hotels

we were put up in in Auckland and Singapore were great and the meal allowances seemed quite generous, could anyone offer me any advice on whether I'd have a claim for compensation?

I notice that EU flights are covered by compensation rules but not non EU flights...is there anything I can do to get some cash back as getting into London over a day later than planned has caused quite a lot of problems for us and our families...

Thank you!

17 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

Not under EU261 you can't. Non community carriers are only liable for compensation for flights that depart the EU/EEA/EFTA zones. Your only route would be if New Zealand and/or Singapore has similar laws, which I don't know of.

If I were you I'd wait a few days and see if SQ contacts you. They may make a "gesture of goodwill", such as a ton of frequent flyer miles or a discount off a future flight. If so, take it. You've already said (rightly) that you can't fault SQ. If you don't get contacted, then contact SQ customer service and "complain" politely, with a view to getting something like that. If you get an offer and can't use it, contact them and see if it can be turned into something useful, such as a voucher for a mail order shopping site.

And if you do contact them, give appropriate praise to SQ staff if they helped out. I had a 25 hour mechanical delay last year with United (PVG-SFO). The gesture of goodwill came through 2 days after I arrived home which I duly accepted. I contacted customer services anyway to *compliment* the flight attendants on that flight. And as a result I received another gesture of goodwill, which I hadn't asked for.

NomadicForever
reviews: 14
2. Re: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

Apart from being delayed did you suffer any financial loss?

You had accomodation and meals supplied, and you seem to be happy with the care SQ took to make you comfortable from what you say.

Why is -compensation- the first thing that comes to peoples mind when something does not go acc. to plan?

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 64
3. Re: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

Does your travel insurance have a delayed departure clause? If so make a claim on that.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
4. Re: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

"Apart from being delayed did you suffer any financial loss?"

EU compensation is not meant to cover any financial loss per se so that's an irrelevant question.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
reviews: 3
5. Re: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

Sounds as if Singapore Airlines did well and provided accommodation / meals to you

I have to agree with NomadicForever that so many seem to look for compensation when things do not go exactly as planned.

The more people make claims to airlines in the end it just means higher airfares. Unless you truly suffered any financial loss I would as said hope that SQ may offer something extra .

In the'old days' on such delays an airline would put you up in a hotel and provide meals, that was the end of it.

Edited: 5:51 am, August 18, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

This incident is not covered by EU compensation.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
7. Re: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

"EU compensation is not meant to cover any financial loss per se so that's an irrelevant question."

It is a perfectly reasonable question as the poster's context was one of trying to isolate additional expenses, and that was followed by somebody else suggesting they look at their travel insurance.

London, United...
8. Re: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

I am right now in the middle of the same thing and a 26 hours delay is always a financial loss as you could have done something else in the mean time.

My personal experience of 12 hours delay I am just losing a day at work which is worth at least my daily pay.

Plus the difficulties you have with your coworkers who were counting of you etc...

On top of that a 30 hours flight is not quite relaxing and your are loosing the effect of holidays in my case coming back to work knackered.

So yes this has a financial loss.

And moreover this business is one of the only one where you give the cash long time in advance and then have no lever to play with when the work is not done properly and where penalties are not automatic but just depending on later discussions.

Think about it, you go to the supermarket, you pay 2 months in advance, on today's value of things you eventually get in 2 months, where they will make you pay higher automatically if in 2 months prices are higher and not change the price if it goes down (that's exactly what they do with airport taxes...), they 2 months later you finally go to the supermarket they tell you have to wait for 1 more week to get them. In the meantime you can be thankful of the seat they provide for the waiting time.

By the way if 1 month before you need to pick up your food, you don't need it anymore, you might cancel your order ending up paying 40% of the invoice not getting anything...

Not sure I am clear enough but I think airline companies have made us think the way they treat us is normal while we would never accept anythink like that from any other business...

It's a bit lke when mobile provider where charging €1 for sending a text...

It's a rip off...

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
9. Re: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

You agreed to be ripped off when you booked the ticket?

Melbourne
reviews: 1
10. Re: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?

re: number 8: "Not sure I am clear enough... " No, I'm not sure you're clear enough either.

If a 12-hour delay causes you to miss a day at work, this suggests you were going to go to work pretty well directly after a 30-hour flight. If I were your co-worker then I'd not be expecting too much from you that day anyway. I certainly would not be "counting on you" for anything important.

"On top of that a 30 hours flight is not quite relaxing and your are loosing the effect of holidays in my case coming back to work knackered." But you would have had that flight anyway, wouldn't you? It sounds like you were going to work the day after your flight arrived so you would have been 'knackered' even without the 12 hour delay.

Reply to: Singapore Airlines flight delayed by 26 hours- can we claim?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted