We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling the the us on expired passport

Birmingham...
Traveling the the us on expired passport

Hi, i was born in Britain and moved to the us when i was about 1, i had a us passport, when i was 12 i moved back to the uk and obtained a british passport. i am now 18 and have an expired us passport but a valid british passport, also a british birth certificate.. i am flying the the us within the next 2 days... it is impossible to renew my american passport,,, can someone help me with my situation.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
1. Re: Traveling the the us on expired passport

You don't need your passport to fly within the USA if you have a USA driver's license that is all you'll need for internal flights.

IF you are trying to fly from the UK to the USA then you need to use your British Passport and you also need to apply on line for an ESTA NOW!

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 2
2. Re: Traveling the the us on expired passport

"... if you have a USA driver's license that is all you'll need for internal flights..."

===========================

Wouldn't simply using the UK Passport be sufficient?

Cheers,

Terry

Birmingham...
3. Re: Traveling the the us on expired passport

im flying from Britain to the u.s , i dont have a drivers licence....could i leave britain on the british pasports and when i get to the us show them my expired passport?

Edited: 9:39 pm, August 17, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
4. Re: Traveling the the us on expired passport

Why would you show them your US passport? What are you trying to do that you can't do on your valid British passport?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
5. Re: Traveling the the us on expired passport

If you cannot show US citizenship (as with a passport), would you not need a visa to enter the US with your British passport?

Then, of course, once you have entered the country you don't need a passport for domestic flights.

Edited: 10:01 pm, August 17, 2013
London.UK
reviews: 1
6. Re: Traveling the the us on expired passport

Unless I'm missing something here you can only travel on your British Passport now since you say that is still valid. You still need an ESTA though for travel to the USA, and you are leaving that very late.

Birmingham...
7. Re: Traveling the the us on expired passport

i think i need to reword this, i plan to move back to america for a few years....how would i enter... i am a us citizen so they cant deny me entry can they?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: Traveling the the us on expired passport

So you're a dual citizen? Call the US embassy and ask them.

South Pole
reviews: 39
9. Re: Traveling the the us on expired passport

well I would think u wouldn't get there in the first place on an expired us passport.

the airline would surely deny u boarding.

I guess u can get there on your uk passport (with an esta) and try to work out your "problem" from there but wouldn't it be easier (and possibly legal) to do that in the UK

Edited: 10:33 pm, August 17, 2013
London.UK
reviews: 1
10. Re: Traveling the the us on expired passport

It all sounds a bit muddled to me. You certainly wouldn't be able to enter the USA on an expired US passport, of that I'm sure. You could face an interesting time at US Immigration based on what you have said so far, and you are planning to do this trip in 2 days time ?