We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free at east midalnds airport

Nottingham...
reviews: 3
duty free at east midalnds airport

hi has any body recently flown from east midlands airport to an eu country and tried to purchase duty free spirits ..............we're.(me and the wife ) are off to crete on september the 24th.....and as we're travelling to an eu country are not allowed to but spirits as were going to an eu country ...but a feind of mine went to spain i thin k he said earlier in the year....and said that he bought a bottle of whiskey from the duty free shop and that they (the shop assistants) did'nt bat an eye lid......i thought that duty free was only available on non eu flights ...which is waht i asked him ....but he seems to think that because e.m.a. is only a small airport ...the majority of flights going out of it are flying to eu destinations and thatif the duty free shops only sold to non eu passengers ...they'de probably be out of buisnes....can anyone tell me if they've been able to purchase duty free when flying to an eu destination ...thanks in advance

32 replies to this topic
London.UK
reviews: 1
1. Re: duty free at east midalnds airport

I suspect your friend is referring to ( EU ) duty paid goods. I thought duty free between EU countries ended several years ago.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: duty free at east midalnds airport

Duty free between EU destinations was abolished about 11 years ago. Shops will still sell you booze but it ain't duty free.

Nottingham...
3. Re: duty free at east midalnds airport

hi thanks for your replies .....what i'm referring to is when your .."airside "..After clearing customs,your are free to wonder round the duty free shops ...now in the shop items are labelled with red and green labels ...the green labels refer to goods available to eu passengers ...and the red labels for purchases for non eu passengers ....and items such as alcohol,spirits and tobbacco products are labelled with red labels ......so am i right in thinking that ...i would be able to purchase spirits but as i'm travelling to an eu country would be liable to pay the full price and not the duty free price

London
reviews: 34
4. Re: duty free at east midalnds airport

Yes, if you are travelling to a destination within the European Union you can still buy from the 'Duty-free' shop, but you will pay the duty on the item(s) purchased.

Nottingham...
5. Re: duty free at east midalnds airport

thanks for your help my t.a freinds

Wilmslow, United...
6. Re: duty free at east midalnds airport

You can buy some duty free spirits if travelling within the EU; certainly at Manchester, but infortunately it is only whisky for some obscure reason.

Edited: 9:26 am, August 18, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
7. Re: duty free at east midalnds airport

These products are not really duty free;-)

Wilmslow, United...
8. Re: duty free at east midalnds airport

Call them what you like, they are certainly much cheaper to buy than the supermarkets etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
9. Re: duty free at east midalnds airport

After clearing customs,your are free to wonder round the duty free shops .

----------------

Eh? Not so sure about that. I know larger airports often have shops stuffed in between customs and the public arrivals area but that's a bit of a con.

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 25
10. Re: duty free at east midalnds airport

you don't go through customs for departures only on arrival think the OP means security, into airside.

Reply to: duty free at east midalnds airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted